Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LR Question...carbohydrates vs. fatty foods  (Read 1115 times)

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
LR Question...carbohydrates vs. fatty foods
« on: December 28, 2005, 08:35:18 PM »
Since I'm not allowed to post LSAT questions here and I can't really paraphrase the question, would anyone be so kind as to look at Question 8 from section I (LR) of Preptest 29 (Oct '99) and explain it to me.

It's the one about how consuming simple carbs can lead to overproduction of insulin, which in turn can affect the body's storage of fat.

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
Re: LR Question...carbohydrates vs. fatty foods
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 10:15:16 PM »
It is a softMust Be True Question, meaning that if you cannot diagram the statement, you need to construct a reasonable conclusion that is supported by as much of the stimulus as possible and that does not make unwarranted assumtions...look for an answer choice that states that conclusion without exceeding the logical force of the stimulus.

Anytime you have ....people claimsomething....then you know that in the LSAT world that the author of the question stem (in this case the nutritionist)will oppose that claim...so what do the many people claim? That simple carbohydrates are reasonable caloric replacements for the fatty foods forbidden to those on low-fat diets. ... Then the nutritionist introduces the "new study" showing that manypeople high intake of simple carbs stimulates overproduction of insulin...which you need for energy but if you have too much of it will make you fat.

(a) the author never stated that you should avoid consumption of simple carbs - so nix that answer.

(b) ....bla bla bla...should not feel compelled to adopt low-fat diets - nowhere was that mentioned....nix that answer

(c) people consuming simple carbs should limit their intake of foods high in fats --- another nonsense answer --- never was mentioned in the stimulus

(D) if you wish to avoid gaining weight you should limit your intake of food high in simple carbs --- now doesn't that make sense? This is your answer

But since we are good LSAT takers, we will check ALL answer choices

(e) people who do not produce an excessive amount of insulin (meaning people who eat too much) will not lose weight if they restrict only their intake of these foods...if you eat too much (more than you need to provide energy to your body) you will gain weight....so therefore you should restrict your simple carb intake? --- NOT! Just stop eating all foods in excess of what you need...DUH

I hope this helped?

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 10:18:16 PM »
By the way..this question could have been diagrammed. Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 10:36:01 PM »
Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to look the question up. Ok, my confusion was between answers D and E. When I took the preptest, I selected E. Here's why...

According to the nutritionist, for *MANY* (not all) people overconsumption of carbs can lead to overproduction of insulin, which in turn leads to extra fat being stored, i.e. makes you fat. Hence, can we not reasonably conclude that if you don't produce that extra amount of insulin, you won't store that extra fat that you would if you did produce that extra insulin? Thus, if you're not gaining any fat by eating tons of carbs (since you're not producing extra insulin), if you decide to cut back on carbs you won't lose any weight either since you're not gaining it in the first place.

The reason I didn't go with D is because I didn't feel that I had enough information to conclude that you should cut back on high carb foods instead of just cutting back on fatty foods. People who wish to avoid gaining body fat could also just cut back on fatty foods, no? Oh, and also, you could be one of those people who doesn't really gain weight by eating carbs, since the stimulus DID say "for many people, a high intake of simple carbs..."

I think there's something about answer choice E that I may be overlooking, and I have a few ideas but I'd like to see what you think before influencing your opinion.

Fidelio

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 10:37:41 PM »
For fitness pundits, this question could have been prephrased very easily (not so simple to do on must be true questions).

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 10:45:19 PM »
For fitness pundits, this question could have been prephrased very easily (not so simple to do on must be true questions).

I'm sure I could have decently paraphrased it but I felt that the nuance in the wording of the stimulus was pretty important in seeing the conflict between the two answers I narrowed it down to.

dixiepat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 01:04:59 AM »
what exam is this (year, month). I want to look at it as well...
i don't have them numbered as all of you do.

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 02:13:29 AM »
what exam is this (year, month). I want to look at it as well...
i don't have them numbered as all of you do.

Mentioned above...oct '99

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 12:20:18 AM »
bump

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 01:32:45 AM »
Can anyone tell me why D and not E? please...