Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can illegal immigrants be admitted to the Bar?  (Read 1857 times)

ruskiegirl

Can illegal immigrants be admitted to the Bar?
« on: July 17, 2004, 02:35:04 PM »
I was just reading the thread in the Students discussion area on illegal immigration, when it ocurred to me that there are thousands of people that either enter this country illegally or overstay their visas and later establish legal residency or even citizenship in the United States.  Since illegal immigration is a violation of federal law, I wonder if those people could ever be admitted to the Bar?

jgruber

Re: Can illegal immigrants be admitted to the Bar?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 02:37:45 PM »
I think it would depend on whether they had been convicted.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 02:42:26 PM »
I would assume that if they get residency or citizenship, they probably weren't.

Ginatio

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 02:45:07 PM »
what are you talking about? how could they even attend law school if they're illegal immigrants? they'd have no social security number, or visa, or money to pay--they certainly wouldn't qualify for FAFSA or private loans...

this is a moo question.

Since illegal immigration is a violation of federal law, I wonder if those people could ever be admitted to the Bar?

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 02:47:02 PM »
she's talking about people who establish permanent residence or citizenship subsequent to their illegal status.

what are you talking about? how could they even attend law school if they're illegal immigrants? they'd have no social security number, or visa, or money to pay--they certainly wouldn't qualify for FAFSA or private loans...

this is a moo question.

Since illegal immigration is a violation of federal law, I wonder if those people could ever be admitted to the Bar?

ruskiegirl

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 02:47:48 PM »

this is a moo question.

You either failed to read or didn't understand the original post.  I was talking about people who are at one point illegal, but (before they sit for the bar) legalize their status.

jgruber

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 02:49:49 PM »
moo question are referred to bovine courts

Ginatio

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 02:53:09 PM »
well if they entered law school, they must have been legal at that point, in which case I don't see it being a problem for the BAR if it wasn't a problem for either the law school or Immigration and Naturalization Services. I think there's a fine that you have to pay when you're being naturalized if you've ever been an illegal in the country, thus, once that due is paid, then the bar can't say a damn thing

this is a moo question.

You either failed to read or didn't understand the original post.  I was talking about people who are at one point illegal, but (before they sit for the bar) legalize their status.

Ginatio

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 02:55:23 PM »
and, yes, sweetie, i failed to read the entire post. i skipped right to the sentence with the question mark after it. my bad.  :-*

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 03:31:51 PM »

this is a moo question.

This isn't true. Back in the 80's and prior, the US Gov't gave even illegal immigrants Social Security numbers. In fact, they issued driver's licensces and all. Also, when one becomes naturalized, you pay a processing fee not a fine.