Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can illegal immigrants be admitted to the Bar?  (Read 1905 times)

Ginatio

Re: Can illegal immigrants be admitted to the Bar?
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 03:57:01 PM »
it's not the 80s anymore. all the laissez-faire practices from back then are currently non-existent.

thus--to get back to the original point--someone who is taking the bar exam at this point in time, who we'll say has a social security card issued back in the 80s, will probably have already been naturalized--plus, I'm sure that law schools check SSNs and that 80s era SSNs won't make you eligible for FAFSA aid... all of which serve as filters that keep truly illegal immigrants from even getting to the point where they're taking the bar exam.

also, if u were an illegal at any time of your stay in america, i'm fairly certain you have to pay a fine when you eventually apply for naturalization. you pay your naturalization fee later on when everything's approved.

This isn't true. Back in the 80's and prior, the US Gov't gave even illegal immigrants Social Security numbers. In fact, they issued driver's licensces and all. Also, when one becomes naturalized, you pay a processing fee not a fine.

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 04:23:34 PM »
Ginatio, I can speak from first-hand experience that there is no fine, just a fee. I was born in 83, came into the country in 86 and was issued a SSN. Yes, much of the world has changed. You cannot received federal assistance for college and LS w/out being a permanent resident but there are other ways to pay for one's education. One could always go to community college then transfer into their state univ. and pay w/ savings. Don't forget that many immigrant families may live dirt poor but have a ton in savings under the mattress. Also, you can join the reserves, the coast guard, nat'l guard, you name it. That gets you on the quickie-track to citizenship and federal assistance.

Also, you'd be suprised what those 80s-issued SSN can get you. I know one guy who was illegal and already had a SSN and DL and became a CPA. (He later naturalized by paying to marry a US citizen). These policies are based off of the IRS wanting to receive revenues. In fact, it's a federal crime for an IRS agent to call the INS and tell them that they have an illegal in their office.

Ginatio

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 04:43:24 PM »
when were you naturalized? I'm pretty sure it's a newer policy, but institutes a fine for illegals applying for naturalization, nevertheless (unless they're exempt under some overriding statute/clause).

Ginatio, I can speak from first-hand experience that there is no fine, just a fee. I was born in 83, came into the country in 86 and was issued a SSN.

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2004, 05:00:34 PM »
was 17 when my dad naturalized in 2001, and 18 or 19 when my mom naturalized. Neither of them paid a fine. Since I was a minor when my dad naturalized, by right I became a US citizen. So all I did was applied for a passport in 2002 and it cost me around $120 and took 8 weeks.