Am I completely screwed? UPDATES

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Am I completely screwed? UPDATES
« on: December 28, 2005, 10:26:08 AM »
I sent in my applications mid-Nov. (with the exception of a few outliers which didn't get in until the first week of Dec).  A few (well, eight) are considered complete (some of them for at least a month), but the rest are still incomplete, because of the three profs I asked for lors the first week of Nov., only one has come in!

I know I'm a way way borderline candidate (at best) so lors are important for me (though I know not hugely important in the grand scheme).  One prof (a ls prof I took a class with at the ls) sent in the lor last week, so it hasn't been processed yet.  I know it will help a lot to have a lor from an actual ls prof., but is it too late for me (once it is processed, probably next week)?

Basically, despite the fact I had everything in way early am I screwed because my apps never went complete due to these very late lors?

jeb240

Re: Am I completely screwed?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 10:51:27 AM »
Screwed is such a strong word.

Are you at a disadvantage, yeah.  Are you screwed, far from it.  You know, law schools say that they don't start reviewing applicants until the files are complete.  Yet, assuming people are telling the truth, we have stories here on LSD of schools calling applicants and saying, "Hey, this is missing."  The applicant sends it, the next day they get a complete email and the day after that they get an accepted email or phone call.  Clearly law schools peak, so perhaps not being complete isn't so bad when you've at least already applied.

And when your second rec gets processed, that will be enough for the rest of your schools to complete you, so it'll probably get processed by the end of the first week of the new year.  Right now a lot of offices are closed, so you aren't losing any time.

I'd say you're fine (I could be wrong, but for the sake of argument and peace of mind let's say that I'm not :)).

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 08:50:01 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement Jason.  I appreciate it.  It just sucks that I was so on the ball with everything and my app will essentially be reviewed the same time as people sending it in over break!  This can't be good.  :-\

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 11:06:16 PM »
Other people on this board have mentioned that many schools review apps not in the order that they are complete, but in the order that they are received, so even if your is late being complete, at least it will be at the very top of the pile when it is.  And some schools will surely review your app with the 2 letters that will be processed by the time the winter break is over, from what I remember,  many (most?) schools did not require 3 letters.

If all else fails, there must be something you can blackmail your recomender with....
 ;)

fainana

• :)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 11:14:50 PM »
I'm going through the same thing right now, only I haven't sent in my applications because I thought things would go faster if all my recs were processed before I sent in my apps- but I kept waiting and my prof kept not sending the letter in. At least you will be on top of the pile. I have good numbers, so I think I still have a chance, but places like Yale/Harvard/Stanford, I feel like, will look at my application more critically the later I turn it in (I'm not completely stupid- I'm submitting my apps tonight and getting a new recommender tomorrrow, but I definitely get the feeling of being screwed even though I was on top of getting my stuff done on time). I feel for ya! Anyone have good ideas on how to get a deadbeat recommender to finish his letter quickly?

jeb240

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 02:51:03 AM »
My 2nd of my merely 2 recommenders wasn't a deadbeat and I probably got on his back a little earlier than necessary (back in October, but I feel like the fruits of applying early are paying off).  But I wrote him an email and was like, "This was turned in, this and this have been turned in.  Everything has been turned in except for your recommendation.  And the thing about it is that the most important part of my application second to my application, far more important than your recommendation, is the LSDAS report which gives school my grades and test score.  That is all sent into the service, so my part is done, but it will not be sent out to schools until your recommendation is in.  The only thing currently preventing my application from being processed is your recommendation.  I realize you know how this works, but it's important that I stress the need to be "in line" before other applicants..."

That's a harsher paraphrase of a much longer email that I sent my professor (but I'd given him the rec stuff back in May and my other recommender had written hers by August and I feared that, for schools who only required 1 rec to go complete, they'd get hers first [which I'm sure was good, but I feel like his had to be stronger]).  But I did say, "Your recommendation is the only thing that is holding up my application."

It may seem like you are guilting them, but your recommender said s/he would do this.  Presumably you gave them a deadline.  If they agreed to that, also, then this is owed to you.  It's law school and it's rather important that you get in under the best circumstances possible.  If a late recommender means not getting into this or that school, personally I feel like that should be grounds for a lawsuit.  They need to understand that timing is AS MUCH a factor in this process as are your credentials and that your future rest entirely in their hands at this point.  Apologize, of course, for being pushy, but PUSH.  And be sure to explain that, yes, applying later than X amount of people DOES HAVE AN EFFECT.  That's what I say.

Btw, my recommender sent the recommendation 2 days after my email and it was processed less than a week after my email.

EDIT: And the Dean of Wisconsin mentioned this slow prof and his recommendation in the email informally telling me that I was in.  So I don't get the impression that my pushing him caused him to write less than happy things.

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 02:18:19 PM »
Yea, I sent an email to my recommeders saying, btw, if you haven't sent my lor in, here's the fax number.  A week later I put thank you cards in their boxes.  Still waiting...

Thanks for the info, though Jason, hopefully I will be on the top of the pile at some of these schools.  I see how well it's worked out for you and I'm quite jealous!  Congrats on al your success and I hope this lateness won't prevent me from getting in somehwere!

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 10:38:08 PM »
I said the same thing to my prof, except through a telephone voice message.  I been in touch with this prick three times in three weeks.  He kept promising to send it the next day, but nothing has been sent.  So I called him two days ago and left a voice message saying (nicely) that everything else was in except for his rec letter.  I haven't heard from him since then.  No phone call, no e-mail, no rec letter.

What should I do????

My 2nd of my merely 2 recommenders wasn't a deadbeat and I probably got on his back a little earlier than necessary (back in October, but I feel like the fruits of applying early are paying off).  But I wrote him an email and was like, "This was turned in, this and this have been turned in.  Everything has been turned in except for your recommendation.  And the thing about it is that the most important part of my application second to my application, far more important than your recommendation, is the LSDAS report which gives school my grades and test score.  That is all sent into the service, so my part is done, but it will not be sent out to schools until your recommendation is in.  The only thing currently preventing my application from being processed is your recommendation.  I realize you know how this works, but it's important that I stress the need to be "in line" before other applicants..."

That's a harsher paraphrase of a much longer email that I sent my professor (but I'd given him the rec stuff back in May and my other recommender had written hers by August and I feared that, for schools who only required 1 rec to go complete, they'd get hers first [which I'm sure was good, but I feel like his had to be stronger]).  But I did say, "Your recommendation is the only thing that is holding up my application."

It may seem like you are guilting them, but your recommender said s/he would do this.  Presumably you gave them a deadline.  If they agreed to that, also, then this is owed to you.  It's law school and it's rather important that you get in under the best circumstances possible.  If a late recommender means not getting into this or that school, personally I feel like that should be grounds for a lawsuit.  They need to understand that timing is AS MUCH a factor in this process as are your credentials and that your future rest entirely in their hands at this point.  Apologize, of course, for being pushy, but PUSH.  And be sure to explain that, yes, applying later than X amount of people DOES HAVE AN EFFECT.  That's what I say.

Btw, my recommender sent the recommendation 2 days after my email and it was processed less than a week after my email.

EDIT: And the Dean of Wisconsin mentioned this slow prof and his recommendation in the email informally telling me that I was in.  So I don't get the impression that my pushing him caused him to write less than happy things.

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 10:40:11 PM »
You're kind of screwed to begin with, because you root for a J-A-C-K-O-F-F baseball team.  :)

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 09:37:50 AM »
Thanks for the advice oilguzzler.  That was *extremely* helpful. :)

Go Sox!