Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT book list.  (Read 1421 times)

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
LSAT book list.
« on: July 17, 2004, 12:29:13 PM »
I've seen this topic way too many times, and I've bought and/or read most of the LSAT books out there.  Here's a list of what I believe is the most cost-effective study package for the LSAT.

First of all, most Kaplan & PR books can be found in your city's libraries, so check first before buying them.  The following is a list of must have books.

Book List
---------
Powerscore LG Bible
Powerscore Games Setup
Powerscore LR Bible (not available yet)
10 Actual, 10 More, and Next 10
PrepTests 39 to 42

I did not include Master the LSAT in my list b/c I found the book to be too basic.  I didn't find anything that was really helpful except the LR diagramming technique, which I ONLY ever use for parallel reasoning questions.  Paying $30 for a whole book for just a few pages feels like a waste to me.  I found the Kaplan and PR books to be more helpful than most people give them credit for, so definitely skim through them if you get the chance.  The LSAC Tripleprep and Superprep kinda sux, the explanations are really weak and do not explain very well.  You're better off by just doing the questions and think really hard on why you got the answers wrong or just check with this board.  By far, all the Powerscore books are better written than the competition and more helpful; you MUST buy them all.   

My biggest regrets are buying the Master the LSAT book, a PR book, and Superprep from LSAC; I wasted about $100 =(.  For an independent student, that is a lot of money.
When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT book list.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 01:44:04 PM »
I agree with you on Master the LSAT everyone is raving about it... i went through about 7 sections and i find it to be boring and repetitive i didnt learn anything from it except the Obsfuccnucation ( ??? ) or whatever the spelling is.
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

mukhia

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 03:10:23 PM »
Obsfuccnucation ( ??? )

What???!!!

I would also recommend purchasing the answers to all the previous preptests from eBay.  It helps to check your wrong and right answers.

LSATGuru

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 04:21:57 PM »
Ah yeah, obfuscation tactics.

I read Master the LSAT pretty thoroughly, and I've gotten more out of my first TestMasters lesson/class than I did out of reading that entire book and doing its half madeup/half real LSAT practice questions.
I agree with you on Master the LSAT everyone is raving about it... i went through about 7 sections and i find it to be boring and repetitive i didnt learn anything from it except the Obsfuccnucation ( ??? ) or whatever the spelling is.

mukhia

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 04:23:21 PM »
Aaaah.  Eschew obfuscation.

Timmy!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 10:49:41 PM »
I actually thought the PR book was excellent...the Cracking the LSAT one. The answer explanations are very helpful.

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 01:45:26 AM »
I actually thought the PR book was excellent...the Cracking the LSAT one. The answer explanations are very helpful.

I regret buying the PR book not b/c it was unhelpful, but because that it was available for free at the library.  I really hate being wasteful with money.  It's the curse of being poor... or being cheap.  I can't remember which one  :-\.
When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.