Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I apply early to HYSC?  (Read 1377 times)

monkeyboi

Should I apply early to HYSC?
« on: July 17, 2004, 07:37:12 AM »
Here's my dilemma: I currently have a 3.87/178 from UCLA. However, my GPA is heavily inflated with A+'s. Unweighted it is only a 3.76. I am now going into my fifth year of study. During my third year, I had some health problems and my GPA plummetted from a 3.9 to a 3.6. I am currently petitioning two of m professors from this time period to retake their classes. If I do this, the new grades that I get in those courses will completely supercede the old grades. There will be no averaging on my LSDAS report. My GPA, assuming that I get A's in those classes will then be around a 3.95. Given my stats, is it worth it for me to apply in January when those grades would come out instead of in Sept/Oct? I am primarily concerned about H because that is my top choice. Let me know what you think.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Should I apply early to HYSC?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 08:39:06 AM »
As far as I know, retaking won't help, since lsac will not replace the grades.  For the most part, it seems like their policy is that the first grade is the one that counts, no matter what, although I would call and make sure (if you haven't already) to check and see what the deal is with your case and being sick.  And as far as I know, A+s count as a 4.33 or something for lsac's gpa calculation, so you are getting more than a 4.0 for your grades.  I'm not sure if this is how you factored your gpa or not.

And HYS are the most fickle schools in terms of admissions, so a 3.86 and a 178 (which is more than fantastic) should balance you out.  As many people have commented here, HYS don't really have any patterns with the numbers, and people with 180s and 4.0s often get rejected.  (well, maybe not often, but...)

monkeyboi

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 09:31:41 AM »
As far as I know, retaking won't help, since lsac will not replace the grades.  For the most part, it seems like their policy is that the first grade is the one that counts, no matter what, although I would call and make sure (if you haven't already) to check and see what the deal is with your case and being sick.  And as far as I know, A+s count as a 4.33 or something for lsac's gpa calculation, so you are getting more than a 4.0 for your grades.  I'm not sure if this is how you factored your gpa or not.

And HYS are the most fickle schools in terms of admissions, so a 3.86 and a 178 (which is more than fantastic) should balance you out.  As many people have commented here, HYS don't really have any patterns with the numbers, and people with 180s and 4.0s often get rejected.  (well, maybe not often, but...)

Yes, I know what A+'s count as a 4.33 and I included them into the computation of my GPA.
The retaken courses with the petition and professor approval completely replace the old grade. Therefore, the old grade wll not show up on my LSDAS report and there will be no averaging.
So I will really have a 3.9. Evaluate my prior post with this new information.

NorthwoodV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 07:29:43 PM »
FYI...

LSAC can take up to six weeks to process transcripts during the winter.

(I'm assuming you are applying this upcoming cycle)

So if you retake those classes in the fall and mail the grades in mid-December, you are looking at your LSDAS report being ready in late January.  If you apply at this time your file would be complete at the law schools most likely around mid-Feb if you didn't hit any snags.

Prognosis:  The small GPA movement is not even close to worth being one of the last applicants complete at HYSC.

Besides, your stats are so far over their average they will only be looking for a reason to reject you.  If you are even a remotely interesting person and not a crackhead or a male prostitute you will have no problems.

monkeyboi

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 09:34:52 PM »
I am neither a crackhead nor a male prostitute. However, at times I have been called a male whore or an a-hole.....usually by females :-\ .

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 09:45:25 PM »
I have been called a male whore or an a-hole.....usually by females. :-\

Why am I not surprised? 

Here's my dilemma: I currently have a 3.87/178 from UCLA.... Given my stats, is it worth it for me to apply in January when those grades would come out instead of in Sept/Oct? I am primarily concerned about H because that is my top choice. Let me know what you think.

According to http://www.chiashu.com/lsat.html, with your current stats, you have a 90% shot at Harvard. I do not believe you'd be rejected right off the bat.  Apply ASAP, then, if you have not been admitted yet, send your new grades in Jan/Feb.

monkeyboi

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 03:06:25 AM »
More comments are needed please fire away.
Thanks!!

UVaOK

• The 80's Rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 11:17:24 PM »
Here's my dilemma: I currently have a 3.87/178 from UCLA. However, my GPA is heavily inflated with A+'s.

I wish my dilemmas were more like yours.
Looking for a way to get rid of this pesky $170,000...

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Cavalier135

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 12:47:30 PM »
YES.

apply early, go to Yale, make lots of money, marry J-Lo, divorce her, take 1/2
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

BAFF213

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 01:34:40 PM »
YES.

apply early, go to Yale, make lots of money, marry J-Lo, divorce her, take 1/2

hmm... that's not a bad idea