Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Roll call on the NYC area...  (Read 929 times)

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Roll call on the NYC area...
« on: December 28, 2005, 12:42:24 AM »
Who is in NY and what's your situation?

- I've been here for 2.5 years (graduated in '03) and I'm in downtown Manhattan and working as a consultant.  I'm going to law school.in the fall of '06, where remains to be seen.

Also, what's your plan for New Year's?

-My friends cornered me into shelling out $$$ for a party on W. 18th.

(Killed the New Year's part of the subject)

seu2002

Re: Roll call on the NYC area... (Also, what's the plan for New Year's?)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 01:29:06 AM »
hey jay.  i'm a 1L at rutgers newark.  not exactly NYC, but close enough.  where have you applied?  and what were your numbers, if you don't mind sharing?  have you considered applying to rutgers-newark?  they have a great minority student program and the tuition there is very affordable.

as for new year's, i'm partying with my HS buddies down in texas or mexico...  not sure yet.  but yeah, i'll be enjoying this amazing 75 degree weather-- you stay warm up there!

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 02:07:06 AM »
Hey, how did first semester treat you?  I've heard similar good things about Rutgers-Newark, but I am through with that application stuff.  Here's all the LS application-type info on me:

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jayscoot

How often do you get into the city?

I'm in NC visiting my family at the moment, but I'll be back up in NY on Thursday.  Ha, I know what you mean about the weather.  It's been hitting the 60s during the day down here.

I'm not necessarily tied to the NYC area, but right now I'm loving it and I'm kind of hoping I won't have to leave anytime soon.

Slow Blues

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 10:18:30 AM »
No plans yet. Would've liked to go out but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. The party on West 18th... what club would that be? Jade Terrace?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 01:55:59 PM »
those gigs in the city are going for like $175 a pop.  I had to respectfully bow out.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

lex19

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 05:27:11 PM »
i'm thinking about heading in but nothings confirmed, and i'm def not doing an organized club, $150 for a class of bubbly and bootleg apps thing....hopefully someone will have a house party

bluegreyeyes

• Sr. Citizen
  • i dream of being ordinary
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 07:31:46 PM »
lived on LI forever....but moving to NC in June. unless my aunt pulls some strings and gets me a position at the Rockefeller Foundation...

i'm going to Philly for NYE. i've been to NYC for the past 3 years and i refuse to do it again... all the VIP / table service nonsense ruins the atmosphere of normally cool, laid back bars. it turns into a crowd of over cologned guidos hitting on barely dressed chicks, using the line: "yeah, we're VIP".... ummm, no you're not, you're stupid and you each just spent $300 on a $40 bottle of greygoose and the privilege of sitting on chairs.

sorry, had to vent.
"Yesterday's just a memory, tomorrow is never what it's supposed to be." Bob Dylan

lex19

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 07:35:07 PM »
so true bluegrey eyes, so true

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 12:49:51 AM »
No plans yet. Would've liked to go out but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. The party on West 18th... what club would that be? Jade Terrace?

Nah, actually it's not even a club even though that's my normal stomping grounds for going out.  It's metropolitan pavilion.  I don't know a lot about it, but a lot of my friends signed up so I pretty much got locked into it:
http://www.nycnewyear.com
http://www.metropolitanevents.com/index.html

those gigs in the city are going for like $175 a pop.  I had to respectfully bow out.
I feel you on that one.

all the VIP / table service nonsense ruins the atmosphere of normally cool, laid back bars. it turns into a crowd of over cologned guidos hitting on barely dressed chicks, using the line: "yeah, we're VIP".... ummm, no you're not, you're stupid and you each just spent $300 on a $40 bottle of greygoose and the privilege of sitting on chairs.
Haha, and that too.

Where in NC are you moving?  I grew up pretty much all over the state.  I'm actually here right now, getting ready to come back to NY tomorrow.

seu2002

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 06:46:53 PM »
Hey, how did first semester treat you?  I've heard similar good things about Rutgers-Newark, but I am through with that application stuff.  Here's all the LS application-type info on me:

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jayscoot

How often do you get into the city?

I'm in NC visiting my family at the moment, but I'll be back up in NY on Thursday.  Ha, I know what you mean about the weather.  It's been hitting the 60s during the day down here.

I'm not necessarily tied to the NYC area, but right now I'm loving it and I'm kind of hoping I won't have to leave anytime soon.

the 1L was rough, but i think every 1L on this board will tell you the same.  the one thing i can say with certainty is that but for this aforementioned minority student program, i would have had a harder time with school.  i'm glad it's over tho.  from what i hear, it's all smooth sailing from now on.

because of LS, however, i dont venture into the city as much as i would like.  i mainly hang out with friends at houseparties or LS functions or at bars close to campus.  i've partied in the city a few times and that was soooo much fun.  i enjoy going into the city to go shopping, for a meal or just to roam the city when i need a breather, and i do that a couple of times a month.

where do you hang out in the city?  i still need to find a good spot.

and yes, bluegreyeyes, i agree with you completely!