Law School Discussion

Submitting additional materials, how much is too much?

Submitting additional materials, how much is too much?
« on: December 27, 2005, 10:03:37 PM »
I'm thinking of writing a targeted letter of interest and submitting one or two additional essays to each school, is this going overboard?  Also, is it ok to submit essays that were not listed as topics in the application itself? Additional material is so vague, and I'd hate to send out unsolicited/unwanted stuff.

Re: Submitting additional materials, how much is too much?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 08:16:49 AM »
Ooops.. ok saw where you were deferred at NYU. I think I would only send in a moderate amount of stuff. Maybe a targeted letter, new LOR. I don't think I would send in an unsolicited essay.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 08:43:32 AM »
Unfortunately I've already graduated and I already submitted one LOR from one of my bosses, so I don't think a new one would add much. I think I do have some things to say about what I've accomplished since graduating, so I'm leaning towards the essay. 

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 09:56:21 AM »
One or two, if absolutely neccessary (and not very long) I think would be fine.  For example, my numbers aren't great, which I know, so I wrote a short essay on my background hoping to explain my unique life experiences, which may have affected my scores.  I talked with a few deans of admission and they seemed fine with a little something extra, but explained how horrified they were by the 1-2 inch binders they often received in the mail! 

I say, if you have something very special to say, say it and make it as short as possible.  The worst they can do is not read it.

Good luck!