Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Sexual orientation/diversity essay?  (Read 6871 times)

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Sexual orientation/diversity essay?
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2006, 11:49:00 PM »

2. yes

Was that yes about your pic, or yes about knowing Brad?
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2006, 11:54:40 PM »
yes to all

theredbaron

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2006, 07:16:36 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts re: my additional questions --

absy, you definitely articulate the feelings I've had of being an outsider, the reality of which is truly sinking in now that I'm no longer in a supportive collegiate environment; but i must say that it's wonderful to read about your experiences at Harvard!

And odaiko, thanks for your generous compliments.  I appreciated the reminder that it is possible to address queer issues without actually identifying bisexuality; that might be a wise path to take, since I know that you're not alone in your feelings about what seems to many (and myself included, at times) an ambivalent way of identifying oneself.  Thank you for your honesty about your perspective as well as your willingness to adapt it -- if only everyone were so open to changing...

yalecollege06, it sounds as though you made the right decision concerning what to focus on in your diversity statement.  Good to hear that you felt confident in your decision to check the box and let it at that.

And though we've communicated via PM, mobo, I didn't want to leave you out --
Your comment, combined with absy's, makes it much clearer to me that the "b" of "glbt" is not less "important" or significant than the other identifiers, which as odaiko pointed out is certainly an idea held by many.  Rather, it contains its own set of challenges and opportunities for soul-searching; I'd like to think that for this reason, it is listed as an equal with the other three letters. 

This board has been very helpful to me the last several days; thanks, everyone.  Between your thoughful remarks and good looks (absy?!), you're going to WOW law schools.   ;) 

ghaleon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2006, 03:41:46 PM »
Wow, it sounds terrific. I haven't heard of any schools yet that have such a supportive environment for GLBT folks (maybe NYU). Based on your interactions with students at the GLBT law conferences, do you know of other top 20 schools that are particularly supportive?

From the little interaction I've had, Penn also seems to be a good place to go if you're gay. A gay 2L called me during winter break to congratulate me on my acceptance and answer any questions I had. I believe he said their student group had over 20 active members and they're a very tight-knit group with the 2Ls and 3Ls helping the 1Ls learn how to study and prep for exams.
CLS'09

odaiko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2006, 10:11:57 PM »
From the little interaction I've had, Penn also seems to be a good place to go if you're gay. A gay 2L called me during winter break to congratulate me on my acceptance and answer any questions I had. I believe he said their student group had over 20 active members and they're a very tight-knit group with the 2Ls and 3Ls helping the 1Ls learn how to study and prep for exams.

Sigh... Penn... Do you think they'll ding me over the phone? :)

Thanks for the input. It's great to hear there's positive things coming out of Philly. And congrats on your acceptances!
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2009!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=agnetha

SFnative

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2006, 06:42:53 PM »

Sigh... Penn... Do you think they'll ding me over the phone? :)

Thanks for the input. It's great to hear there's positive things coming out of Philly. And congrats on your acceptances!

Wish I had discovered this post sooner when I was applying. I decided to write my diversity essay on my experience canvassing for the HRC. Though I grew up and canvassed in San Francisco/Bay Area, it was really an eye-opening experience because there are still many places/ppl in the bay area that are very intolerant. I hope to attend law school in a major city - pref. san francisco bay area, new york or boston...too bad the law schools there are so competitive. I got in Boalt so far and still waiting to hear from the others.

Emolee

• Sr. Citizen
  • I believe there is a distance I have wandered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2006, 06:55:32 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm sure you've made all your decisions as apps are pretty much all due... just thought I would throw my hat in the ring & say hi

I just realized that I NEVER came out in any of my apps, although I did write my PS on an experience I had advocating same-sex marriage at a very conservative Baptist school and then subsequently starting a diversity organization on campus.  I also put in that I have worked for HRC for seven years.  I made it very clear that i am interested in working in sexual orientation law.  I also wrote UCLA, my 1st choice, about how I am really excited about their think-tank on sexual orientation law.

What do you guys think?  Too late now to change it, but I'm just curious.  Should I have come out directly?  I definitely wasn't hiding it... it just didn't come up, really, regarding my personal life.

I also agree with previous posters that being bi- which I am- is a unique place to be. I have experienced discrimination from both straights and gays... although at times I also feel more included by straights, especially men.

Anyway, nice to meet you all.

Em

wrestling over tiny matters: UCLA vs. Columbia

LSAT 173!  Thank you, God!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=emolee

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2006, 07:09:39 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm sure you've made all your decisions as apps are pretty much all due... just thought I would throw my hat in the ring & say hi

I just realized that I NEVER came out in any of my apps, although I did write my PS on an experience I had advocating same-sex marriage at a very conservative Baptist school and then subsequently starting a diversity organization on campus.  I also put in that I have worked for HRC for seven years.  I made it very clear that i am interested in working in sexual orientation law.  I also wrote UCLA, my 1st choice, about how I am really excited about their think-tank on sexual orientation law.

I think that's fine.
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Emolee

• Sr. Citizen
  • I believe there is a distance I have wandered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2006, 07:14:34 PM »
yale college,

Thanks!
I clicked on your LSN... congrats on your acceptances!!

You do make me wonder if I should mask my identity more... by my LSN one can pretty much tell who I am.... thoughts?
wrestling over tiny matters: UCLA vs. Columbia

LSAT 173!  Thank you, God!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=emolee

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2006, 07:36:07 PM »
yale college,

Thanks!
I clicked on your LSN... congrats on your acceptances!!

You do make me wonder if I should mask my identity more... by my LSN one can pretty much tell who I am.... thoughts?

Thanks!! :)

Personally, I'm pretty uncomfortable with revealing my identity, as are many other LSDers. The University of Texas was discovered on at least two occasions to have used LSN to match applicant with online profiles. Increasing evidence also basically proves that T. Stock reads these boards, but we don't know if he does identity-matching (and it seems to me that he must be too busy to do it). Numerous adcoms read LSD, but other than UT there hasn't been a confirmed case of acdoms matching online profiles to applicants' real-life identities. Supposedly it happened once on XOXO with a bunch of schools, though.

Basically, I didn't want decisions on my application to be judged on the basis of what I say on LSD, especially because I sometimes openly say positive or negative things about what specific schools offer their students, and I think a quotation taken out of context could get me a ding or yield-protect.

On the other hand, some people are very open about their identities on LSD and don't seem to have run into problems.
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09