Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Sexual orientation/diversity essay?  (Read 7141 times)

odaiko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Sexual orientation/diversity essay?
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2006, 12:58:11 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm sure you've made all your decisions as apps are pretty much all due... just thought I would throw my hat in the ring & say hi

I just realized that I NEVER came out in any of my apps, although I did write my PS on an experience I had advocating same-sex marriage at a very conservative Baptist school and then subsequently starting a diversity organization on campus.  I also put in that I have worked for HRC for seven years.  I made it very clear that i am interested in working in sexual orientation law.  I also wrote UCLA, my 1st choice, about how I am really excited about their think-tank on sexual orientation law.

What do you guys think?  Too late now to change it, but I'm just curious.  Should I have come out directly?  I definitely wasn't hiding it... it just didn't come up, really, regarding my personal life.

I also agree with previous posters that being bi- which I am- is a unique place to be. I have experienced discrimination from both straights and gays... although at times I also feel more included by straights, especially men.

Anyway, nice to meet you all.

Em

Hi Em, thanks for reviving this thread. I was missing the 'mo love!

You shouldn't change your applications. I think you should only come out in your apps if you use it in a way to show how you deal with other factors, like adversity. If you were to insert it now, it could change the structure of your essays/arguments--not worth it. And if you do a separate diversity essay on your sexuality, it could seem like you're just doing it to show that you're unique.

Personally, I did my entire PS on coming out, but I used the topic as a tool to show how I think, how I deal with conflict, etc. It is a lens with which the adcom can examine my other accomplishments and experiences.

Since you didn't think to include your sexuality when you were submitting your applications, it probably isn't at the top of your mind and therefore not worth injecting for the sake of injecting it.

(That having been said, I've been getting some random love from schools that don't really need to show me love based on my numbers, so maybe coming out directly did help me? It's all possible...)
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2009!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=agnetha

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2006, 01:04:54 AM »
(That having been said, I've been getting some random love from schools that don't really need to show me love based on my numbers, so maybe coming out directly did help me? It's all possible...)

I read on XOXO that someone's sister's husband heard that next year US News is adding "% of gays" as a ranking criterion.  ;)
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

Emolee

• Sr. Citizen
  • I believe there is a distance I have wandered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2006, 01:37:02 PM »
Odaiko,
Thanks for the words of encouragement... I have thought about it and feel good about it the way it is, too.  maybe I will stand out because I talk about gay rights without coming out per se.  However, if they are giving US random love... hopefully they can read between the lines.  Good luck to you!  Where are you going next year?
wrestling over tiny matters: UCLA vs. Columbia

LSAT 173!  Thank you, God!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=emolee

odaiko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2006, 02:56:43 PM »
Odaiko,
Thanks for the words of encouragement... I have thought about it and feel good about it the way it is, too.  maybe I will stand out because I talk about gay rights without coming out per se.  However, if they are giving US random love... hopefully they can read between the lines.  Good luck to you!  Where are you going next year?

I think you've made your sexuality clear in subtle ways--your apps sound great.

As far as my plans for next year, I'm still waiting to hear from other schools, especially in terms of financial aid. I want to do public interest, so it's important that I accumulate very little debt! I was just offered what amounts to a full ride at Northwestern, so it would be very difficult to turn that down! (I'm still in shock about it.)

Do you have favorites beyond UCLA?
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2009!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=agnetha

Emolee

• Sr. Citizen
  • I believe there is a distance I have wandered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2006, 03:18:11 PM »
Wow! Congrats on your scholarship at NW!  Gotta love schools that don't average the LSAT.  I teach the LSAT, and I always recommend it to re-takers.  They must have really liked you beyond your LSAT tho to give you a full ride.

I applied so late in the cycle that I didn't apply for any scholarships.  Altho my tution is being paid... so I am lucky... it still would feel great to be offered $.

I applied to UCLA, USC, Berkeley, Stanford, Columbia, NYU & Vanderbilt.  I really want UCLA as I want to stay in LA- also interested in the Williams Project (sexual orientation think tank).  But an admit to Stanford or Berkeley would be very tempting, too.
wrestling over tiny matters: UCLA vs. Columbia

LSAT 173!  Thank you, God!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=emolee

SFnative

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2006, 01:06:10 PM »
Wow! Congrats on your scholarship at NW!  Gotta love schools that don't average the LSAT.  I teach the LSAT, and I always recommend it to re-takers.  They must have really liked you beyond your LSAT tho to give you a full ride.

I applied so late in the cycle that I didn't apply for any scholarships.  Altho my tution is being paid... so I am lucky... it still would feel great to be offered $.

I applied to UCLA, USC, Berkeley, Stanford, Columbia, NYU & Vanderbilt.  I really want UCLA as I want to stay in LA- also interested in the Williams Project (sexual orientation think tank).  But an admit to Stanford or Berkeley would be very tempting, too.

Emolee --

go to boalt and i might see you there!