Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UVA vs Northwestern...?  (Read 6653 times)

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
Re: UVA vs Northwestern...?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 10:04:29 PM »
normally i wouldn't waste the effort, but you deserve a giant @#!* you for being such an arrogant a-hole here and such a sarcastic prick in the thread where you bombed on burgh, who i know IRL and who is a great guy.

Whoever you are, it's great to know you got my back :)

Everyone here should be required to post pictures.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2006, 07:53:02 PM »
I've posted this in a number of other places, but I think that UChicago's conservatism is way overblown, simply because conservatism is represented and considered as opposed to being summarily dismissed, as is the case with much of the rest of the T14 (UVA being another notable exception). 

I attended a discussion panel on peace prospects in the middle east last summer with 3 panelists who were supposed to represent a conservative viewpoint, a liberal one, and one in the middle of the road.  The "centrist" and the leftist ended up ganging up on the conservative (as a left-leaning centrist who finds agreement with both parties on different issues, I try my best to view these things objectively).  You will not feel any less accepted on the far left of the spectrum than on the far right - but as intellectual as the place is, you'd better be willing to defend views on the left as opposed to assuming they'll be accepted without justification, as you may be able to do at some other top schools.

I think of UChicago as more intellectual, and NU/UVA as more pre-professional (I did attend UVA undergrad, but don't know a ton about NU).  Anyone care to elaborate/disagree?
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

piggy-buttercup

• Sr. Citizen
  • hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 10:00:51 PM »
it seems to me that nu has that "corporate law" image. this might be a setback if one wants to go into public interest?

I think your answer depends a lot on where you want to practice upon graduation: nu for chicago/uva for dc, nyc

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2006, 10:42:46 PM »
it seems to me that nu has that "corporate law" image. this might be a setback if one wants to go into public interest?

I think your answer depends a lot on where you want to practice upon graduation: nu for chicago/uva for dc, nyc

I'm not sure what the employment numbers are, but I'm sure you can look them up for yourself.  From my perspective, there is a tremendous emphasis on public interest here.  The SFPIF (Student Funded Public Interest Fellowship) program constantly puts on fundraisers throughout the year, and a huge number of my classmates participate.  If you volunteer X numbers of hours working for SFPIF throughout the semester, then you will receive a stipend over the summer if you take a public interest related job.  Also, NU offers a loan assistance/repayment program, but I don't know what the terms are. There are a lot of trust fund babies here who can afford the luxury of taking a low paying job after graduation, but I'm not one of them :)  If you're interested in public interest law, you'll have no shortage of opportunities at NU.

Bullsh1tDetector

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2006, 02:50:15 AM »
outstanding job, burghblast.

all i have to say is that NU would be perfect for you.  you would have a fantastic time and self-actualize while here.

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2006, 11:09:35 AM »

I'm not sure what the employment numbers are, but I'm sure you can look them up for yourself.  From my perspective, there is a tremendous emphasis on public interest here.  The SFPIF (Student Funded Public Interest Fellowship) program constantly puts on fundraisers throughout the year, and a huge number of my classmates participate.  If you volunteer X numbers of hours working for SFPIF throughout the semester, then you will receive a stipend over the summer if you take a public interest related job.  Also, NU offers a loan assistance/repayment program, but I don't know what the terms are. There are a lot of trust fund babies here who can afford the luxury of taking a low paying job after graduation, but I'm not one of them :)  If you're interested in public interest law, you'll have no shortage of opportunities at NU.

Isn't NU heavily involved in the Innocence Project? That's one of the most impressive PI initiatives I can think of at any school…
U Chi '09