Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UVA vs Northwestern...?  (Read 6096 times)

RocketBot

Re: UVA vs Northwestern...?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 10:50:02 PM »
lol at the 27+ comment about NU.

has that misconception not been killed yet?

anyway, chicago is actually pretty balanced.  the posner/epstein types are pretty well balanced out by the sunstein/nussbaum types, and if you want to do big things UofC is by far the best option you have so far.  Good luck

misconception?  it's NU's stated goal to matriculate older/experienced candidates.  so either way NU was unattractive to me because either:
1) they have successfully attracted an older, experienced population, thus making someone like me (straight out of undergrad) "not in line with their goals", and a nontrad of sorts.
2) failed to attract said experienced population, which is also unattractive (they failed to achieve their goal).

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 10:57:07 PM »

anyway, chicago is actually pretty balanced.  the posner/epstein types are pretty well balanced out by the sunstein/nussbaum types, and if you want to do big things UofC is by far the best option you have so far.  Good luck

misconception?  it's NU's stated goal to matriculate older/experienced candidates.  so either way NU was unattractive to me because either:
1) they have successfully attracted an older, experienced population, thus making someone like me (straight out of undergrad) "not in line with their goals", and a nontrad of sorts.
2) failed to attract said experienced population, which is also unattractive (they failed to achieve their goal).

What they don't tell you is that most 1L's here have only 1 or 2 years of WE.  A significant number have 3 years WE.  Few have more than that.  I was 27 when school started and if I had to guess I'd say I was in the 70th percentile agewise.  There are like 2 or 3 people in our class pushing 40 and a decent handful in our late 20's, early 30's.  But the majority is early-to-mid 20's... just not 21 or 22.

RocketBot

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 01:07:23 AM »

What they don't tell you is that most 1L's here have only 1 or 2 years of WE.  A significant number have 3 years WE.  Few have more than that.  I was 27 when school started and if I had to guess I'd say I was in the 70th percentile agewise.  There are like 2 or 3 people in our class pushing 40 and a decent handful in our late 20's, early 30's.  But the majority is early-to-mid 20's... just not 21 or 22.

Well, of course very few would be 21, seeing as almost all college grads are at least 22.

From NU's most recent class:
1 year or more: 94%
2 years or more: 74%

So only about 6% came straight out of college.  Compare that to 30%+ at Harvard, Columbia, NYU, etc.  I'd say that's a pretty big difference.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 01:16:09 AM »

Well, of course very few would be 21, seeing as almost all college grads are at least 22.

So only about 6% came straight out of college.  Compare that to 30%+ at Harvard, Columbia, NYU, etc.  I'd say that's a pretty big difference.

#1 - I graduated college at 21.  It's not uncommon to start at 17 or finish in 6 or 7 semesters. 

#2 - Your stats don't dispute my point.  I didn't say that NU wasn't older than most other places - I'm sure that it is.  In fact, I'm surprised to hear that *only* 30% of first year classes at other schools come straight from college.  I figured it would be more than half.  But my point about NU is that even though they say everyone is required to have WE, that doesn't mean they give any sort of preference to A LOT of work experience.  Consequently, NU is only *slightly* older than most other schools.

If those stats continued for 3 and 4 years, I suspect it would go something like this:

3 years or more: 40%
4 years or more: 25%
5 years or more: 10%

Bullsh1tDetector

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 01:55:41 AM »

Most people graduate college at 21 or 22, so let's just say 21.5 for the sake of this.

6% of the class is (presumably) 21.5 or less
26% is presumably 22.5 or less

there's over a quarter of the class.

most people have two (and sometimes three) years work experience.  These people would be 23.5 and 24.5, hardly the class of late 20 and 30 somethings so many people imagine.

in fact, going here, i would wager that at least 70%+ of the 1L class was 24 years of age or less upon matriculation.

RocketBot

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 02:04:56 AM »

Most people graduate college at 21 or 22, so let's just say 21.5 for the sake of this.

6% of the class is (presumably) 21.5 or less
26% is presumably 22.5 or less

there's over a quarter of the class.

most people have two (and sometimes three) years work experience.  These people would be 23.5 and 24.5, hardly the class of late 20 and 30 somethings so many people imagine.

in fact, going here, i would wager that at least 70%+ of the 1L class was 24 years of age or less upon matriculation.

Your 21.5 assumption is incorrect.  From Wikipedia (and everyone I know): "Students usually graduate from high school in the year of their 18th birthday".  Thus, if a student went on to college right away, they would graduate in the year of their 22nd birthday.

However, this doesn't account for students taking a year or so off before college, taking longer than 4 years to complete, etc.  Obviously, one could argue about skipping grades or finishing early, but there is little reason to believe that either are significant, especially with the growing prevalence of 5-year science degrees.

It's a bit nitpicky, and I see what you're getting at, but nonetheless... 21 is the exception, and 22 or higher is the rule.

Bullsh1tDetector

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 02:35:39 AM »
note that it said "the year of their 18th bday", meaning the bday could be anytime 1jan-31dec.  assuming a june 1 graduation date and equal distribution, the average age at graduation would be about 17.4 [17 years + (5 months passed thru may / 12 months in a year).  hopefully you do better than this at cls.

but more accurately, the general rule of thumb is that a child should be 5 years of age when they start kindergarten; though the cutoff date can range between states/munis.

http://users.stargate.net/~cokids/kindergarten_cut-off_dates.htm

seems like sept 1st is a pretty common date.  if these children are 5 years old at the start of K, then they are 6 at the start of 1st grade, and so on.  they are 17 years old at the start of senior year.  assuming equal distribution across the year and a june 1 graduation, a more appropriate number might have been 17.75 [17 + (9 mos. sept thru june / 12 months per year)]  however, with dates more often coming later than 1sept than before it (including california and NY, 2 of the most populous states, which with late nov/early dec start dates would be right at 1june, meaning an unadjusted avg. at right around 17.5), it is likely the actual number is lower than that 21.75.  i'd venture to put it around 17.6, perhaps even slightly lower.

i also think that our sample group is comprised of t14 acceptees, not your average student.  these people (particularly at a numbers-heavy school like NU) are more likely to have skipped a grade, started early, or finished school a semester or two early than their not quite as gifted counterparts.  is this enough, coupled with the later start dates, to push it down to 17.5 (or, later, 21.5)?  who knows, but it's probably damned close, and maybe even below it.

normally i wouldn't waste the effort, but you deserve a giant @#!* you for being such an arrogant a-hole here and such a sarcastic prick in the thread where you bombed on burgh, who i know IRL and who is a great guy.

RocketBot

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 03:12:09 AM »
normally i wouldn't waste the effort, but you deserve a giant @#!* you for being such an arrogant a-hole here and such a sarcastic prick in the thread where you bombed on burgh, who i know IRL and who is a great guy.

point taken ;)

been spending too much time at xoxo methinks.

merkina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 11:36:17 AM »
ok, let's get back to the original topic...

Bullsh1tDetector

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 09:24:29 PM »

point taken ;)

been spending too much time at xoxo methinks.

cool.  good luck at cls next year!