Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UVA vs Northwestern...?  (Read 6567 times)

merkina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
UVA vs Northwestern...?
« on: December 27, 2005, 06:21:57 PM »
Right now those are my best options.  Can anyone give me a good comparison of the two?   

SFnative

Re: UVA vs Northwestern...?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 06:05:07 PM »
Right now those are my best options.  Can anyone give me a good comparison of the two?   

You are not considering UChicago?

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 06:07:13 PM »
Yeah what about Chicaga.  If not Chicago then northwestern.
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?

merkina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 11:04:21 AM »
I don't know.  I think U Chicago is a little too conservative/economics focused for me.  I'll be going into reproductive rights law and I just don't think it's the right place for me.  But I will be visiting...

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 01:34:19 PM »
I don't know.  I think U Chicago is a little too conservative/economics focused for me.  I'll be going into reproductive rights law and I just don't think it's the right place for me.  But I will be visiting...

From talking to current and former Chicago students, it really seems like this reputation is overplayed. Certainly Chicago is no more conservative than UVA, either by faculty or student body.
U Chi '09

SFnative

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 01:48:01 PM »

I think you will love Cal. I got their admission package today and their devotion to social justice is pretty amazing. But of course, thats going by their literature but by the looks of the alum list they provided (alums who voluntarily offer their boalt group affiliations and wants perspectives to contact them) it is an extremely politically active and socially aware place.

merkina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 08:25:37 PM »
yeah, if I got into Berkeley I'm pretty sure I'd end up there as I've always wanted to live in the Bay Area... But it's not looking good for me.  I went complete there on 11/7 and still no word...

RocketBot

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 10:45:58 PM »
yeah, if I got into Berkeley I'm pretty sure I'd end up there as I've always wanted to live in the Bay Area... But it's not looking good for me.  I went complete there on 11/7 and still no word...

Yeah I have a similar GPA and didn't even apply to Boalt after looking at the admit stats.  Honestly, you'll have better career prospects from Virginia (any maybe even Northwestern).

One benefit of Northwestern... it's in the Chicago equivalent of NYC's Village, lots of fun bars, clubs, and restaurants right nearby.  I also hear the facilities are quite nice, if a bit cramped.  Also, age wouldn't be a consideration for you, as I'm guessing you are 27+ from your LSN, which is what turned me off from Northwestern.

Personally, I'd take Virginia, unless Northwestern tossed some money (as they have been known to do).

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 05:22:24 PM »

Yeah I have a similar GPA and didn't even apply to Boalt after looking at the admit stats.  Honestly, you'll have better career prospects from Virginia (any maybe even Northwestern).

One benefit of Northwestern... it's in the Chicago equivalent of NYC's Village, lots of fun bars, clubs, and restaurants right nearby.  I also hear the facilities are quite nice, if a bit cramped.  Also, age wouldn't be a consideration for you, as I'm guessing you are 27+ from your LSN, which is what turned me off from Northwestern.

Personally, I'd take Virginia, unless Northwestern tossed some money (as they have been known to do).

hmmm...I would take Chicago
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

Bullsh1tDetector

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 07:41:46 PM »
lol at the 27+ comment about NU.

has that misconception not been killed yet?

anyway, chicago is actually pretty balanced.  the posner/epstein types are pretty well balanced out by the sunstein/nussbaum types, and if you want to do big things UofC is by far the best option you have so far.  Good luck