Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A Financial Aid List ('Cause I'm Bored) - Add to it!  (Read 32735 times)

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: A Financial Aid List ('Cause I'm Bored) - Add to it!
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2007, 12:50:07 AM »
This is an excellent thread. Thanks!
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2007, 03:34:39 PM »
Does anyone know if Need Access should be filled out by the priority deadline of a particular school, or if the priority only applies to FAFSA?
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2007, 03:49:43 PM »
Does anyone know if Need Access should be filled out by the priority deadline of a particular school, or if the priority only applies to FAFSA?

All financial papers should be done by the school's deadline if possible.

For Mich this means sending your taxes in (if you're independent). Northwestern has some of their own paperwork, which I'd totally forgotten about until this moment. Those are the only two I can think of that have more than NeedAccess and FAFSA.

Terrific. Know when Michigan's actual deadline is (as opposed to the 2/1 filler date listed here)? I mean, it can't actually be 2/1, can it?

LSN</

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2007, 08:15:45 PM »
Mich doesn't list a deadline, so I'd be safe and say 2/15, as that's the earliest I've seen any school ask for. They just say as soon as possible after 1/07. Their site is so helpful in general though, that everyone should check it out. http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestudents/admissions/finaid-1l.htm

ETA: Mich wants your actual tax returns, so that might make the deadline impossible. I plan on getting everything else in before 2/15 and my tax returns in as soon as possible after. Don't get my W2's until 1/31 so hopefully can still meet the deadline. Not sure if any other schools ask for this.

Just checked Columbia site, to be safe. You just need FAFSA and Need Access for now. For your 2nd and 3rd year they ask for Tax returns.

http://www.law.columbia.edu/current_student/financial_aid/how_to_apply

I'm gonna check out a few other schools just to be safe. For some reason Fordham allows a TAP application but no other NY law schools do that I've seen, so that's peculiar. 

Thanks for all the info! I also have to give Mich all my tax returns since I've been an independent for, like, as long as I can remember. Groan. At least they only ask for 2000 on.

Doing the Need Access is worse than pulling teeth... in fact, it's a lot like pulling my own teeth while pulling my parents' at the same time.

LSN</

WeeSqueak

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2007, 03:51:03 PM »
So I'm a bit confused -- do I submit my financial aid stuff even if  have yet to be accepted -- like at Michigan for instance?  I've done FAFSA and Need Access (only for those schools I've been accepted at so far because I'm cheap)

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2007, 10:41:27 AM »
So I'm a bit confused -- do I submit my financial aid stuff even if have yet to be accepted -- like at Michigan for instance? I've done FAFSA and Need Access (only for those schools I've been accepted at so far because I'm cheap)

Yes, you can submit that stuff...but don't send them tax forms until you are actually admitted. FAFSA you should send to every school you applied to regardless, since it is free.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

WeeSqueak

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2007, 10:05:20 AM »
For BU it clearly says on their website that they require Need Access, in their section entitled "Financial Aid Checklist" mid-way down the page in the link below.  Am I missing something?

http://www.bu.edu/law/prospective/apply/jd/finances/index.html

eyeoftheligrr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2007, 04:59:07 PM »
tag

Pink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2007, 05:40:15 PM »
AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH! (I mean, tag).  >:(
HLS '10

WeeSqueak

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2007, 09:21:34 AM »
Earlier in the thread someone said BU reguires Profile (like GW) and not Need Access -- sorry I should have inserted the quote.