Law School Discussion

LSAT vs GPA thought experiment

LSAT vs GPA thought experiment
« on: July 16, 2004, 07:35:06 PM »
Say you've been arrested for a serious crime, and you need an attorney who's going to give you the best shot at avoiding a life sentence. You have two to choose from, and all you know about them is that the first has a 3.98 undergrad GPA from a tier one school, and the other has a 179 LSAT. Which do you choose? Probably the 179; an astronomical LSAT is much more likely to come with a correspondingly high GPA than vice versa. Now what if you're given more info: the 3.98 lawyer has, say, a 160 LSAT, and the 179 lawyer has a 2.5 undergrad GPA, and not in some impossibly difficult major either. Now whom do you choose? It gets a little trickier. Just curious what people would go for, and why.

Re: LSAT vs GPA thought experiment
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 07:40:58 PM »
Although the 179 lawyer is obviously brilliant, I would go w/ the lawyer w/ the higher GPA because it shows that he is committed, responsible, and still intelligent.  While the 179 lawyer has the potential to possibly represent you better, it would be much more risky.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 07:46:13 PM »
I would go with the person with the high LSAT.  I think GPAs can be somewhat of a joke. 

swifty

• View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 07:51:30 PM »
I'd want to know his track record/history.  Wouldn't give a flying @#!* abut his/her LSAT or GPA. 

Where did Johny Cochran go to school?

ocap8

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 07:53:25 PM »
Not knowing anything about the lawyers other than those two pieces of info, I'd take the 179, because Mr. 3.98 could have gotten his undergrad GPA at like north central montana state college of applied agriculture or some place. At least the LSAT is a bit more standardized, even though it's prone to attack on the basis that the LSAT can be prepared for, whereas GPA highlights a continued 4-year process. All in all, I'd rather take innate ability (the argument is that the LSAT attempts to measure this) over a nebulous GPA that varies from place to place and can't be as accurately compared across schools like the LSAT claims to do.

Did they do undergrad at the same place? If they did, however, I may decide to take the overachiever (High GPA, low LSAT) over the underachiever (inverted LSAT/GPA) simply because they'd be more prone to put their nose to the grindstone to make sure they gave me the best legal defense possible. This may be enough of a compensation for a lack on innate ability (i.e. low LSAT score). That's a tough call...

If we're talking about legal professionals who have been out of LS for years, then obviously work experience, track record, areas of practice all come into play. At that point, I'd choose the most expensive guy, so when I'm sitting in the slammer I wouldn't wonder "did I buy the best money could afford?"... kinda like reverse buyers remorse...

nathanielmark

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 07:56:58 PM »
well this is the guy that performed miracles for me some years ago.  Great lawyer, went to new york law school.  im sure his LSAT was pretty modest. 

http://einhornharris.com/ascher2.htm

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 08:49:19 PM »
I was just wondering: why the Mr. 179?

ocap8

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 09:58:55 PM »
Because subconsciously I'm sexist....

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 03:19:53 AM »
I usually love huge LSAT scores (the number 177 now turns me on when I see, hear, or say it), but the 2.5 GPA is very low, while the 160 LSAT is at least still a good score.

Trancer

• Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004, 12:15:01 AM »
I want the lawyer with the $3,000 Armani Suit, the Ferrari (big bird mode - "Boiler Room"), and the $27,000 watch that does something completely retarded to fetch that price like goes 2 miles into space without breaking... was that one of the options? not because im a materialistic person, which im most certainly not, but because hes obviously doing something right.