Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Late Joiner curious about odds  (Read 419 times)

Applicant1693

• View Profile
Late Joiner curious about odds
« on: December 27, 2005, 12:18:55 AM »
171, 3.47 (73%ile)
non URM
1 year Work Experience (volunteer, AmeriCorps--managing a team of other volunteers--one of whom will probably read this...)
Good-to-excellent recommendations.
Leadership in three EC's
Solid but not spectacular essays

Fee Waivers from Michigan and Columbia (the latter of which I probably won't finish anyway)
to William and Mary I go...gladly.

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Late Joiner curious about odds
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 12:22:17 AM »
i think you would be competitive if you applied early; but you are applying late so I am not sure what will happen.  Your LSAT seems fine but your GPA is a little low for t14.

will your GPA increase any after this semester?

if you are patient, you could wait until next cycle and try to get your GPA up; then you should have a great shot to almost any law school.

Applicant1693

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 12:23:40 AM »
I graduated '05...GPA shows consistent improvement (3.6+ over last two years, better than 3.7 my last year)

wrmusgro

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 01:27:03 AM »
You're probably a lock for Ohio State and Case. As for the rest...I wouldn't be suprised if you got into at least one of them....even though you've applied late you're in a very good predicament to be in. If I were you I'd apply to a few other lower ranked tier 1 schools. That 171 will have many of them drooling over you.

Where do you want to ultimately live and work?

171, 3.47 (73%ile)
non URM
1 year Work Experience (volunteer, AmeriCorps--managing a team of other volunteers--one of whom will probably read this...)
Good-to-excellent recommendations.
Leadership in three EC's
Solid but not spectacular essays

Fee Waivers from Michigan and Columbia (the latter of which I probably won't finish anyway)

Applicant1693

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 01:34:38 AM »
in the middle-atlantic, I think.  not BigLaw.

I'm playing home-field advantage with an Undergrad in VA.

wrmusgro

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 01:42:38 AM »
I think you should be fine at William and Mary too. Virginia, may be a little more difficult, but attending undergrad there should help.

You should throw in an App at American and also at Maryland too for Safetys since you want to work in the Mid-Atlantic. You will probably get some scholarship money from both and also you may want to consider Wake Forest as well....

Anyway good luck. Anyone with a 171 and almost a 3.5 from UVa should be fine.

in the middle-atlantic, I think.  not BigLaw.

I'm playing home-field advantage with an Undergrad in VA.

Applicant1693

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 02:01:09 AM »
I said in VA, not at...went to W&M, undergrad, actually.  Had a great visit to their law school, too--still a comfortable sort of environment.

Applicant1693

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 12:31:13 AM »
They can see the upward GPA trend.  I'd feel like I was pointing out the obvious--I mean, the explanation is: I got better at college as time went on.

I'm not entirely sure what I want to do, law-wise (1st choice right now is the judiciary--which, to some extent, does require whoring out to the better-ranked schools...), but I want to be as well-equipped (name-wise as well as education-wise) as possible.