Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Phillipines and Hostages  (Read 1251 times)

jgruber

Phillipines and Hostages
« on: July 16, 2004, 09:11:13 PM »
Wudya think of the Phillipines withdrawing their troops from Iraq to free the hostage?

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Phillipines and Hostages
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 09:15:34 PM »
     I have been very busy at work and, unfortunately, unable to take part in these conversations with the news board congregation.  I too was thinking of posting this exact same topic.  This board is certainly good to get a full array of opinions, whether similar to my beliefs or not.
     Personally, I think the Filipino government made a grave mistake that will put the rest of the world in a more dangerous situation.  They gave in to terrorists.  They gave the terrorist organizations strength in a troubling non-productive period.  As much as some people like to believe that President Bushís administration helps terrorist recruitment, it pales in comparison to the recruiting gains they will get from being successful.  First, they altered the outcome of the Spanish elections then they make an entire country abandon allegiances.
     Following the United States' lead, which I admit isnít always the best thing to do, the rest of NATO had taken the stance that dealing with terrorists was incredibly counter-productive and not something that would be done.  However, the Philippines put the survival of one man over the future sovereignty of our world. I am not trying to sound incredibly insensitive, I am glad that man did not die; I just believe it was the wrong choice for the masses of the world.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 01:52:07 AM »
I'm happy for the man and his family.  :)

I'll just leave it to that.

[you guys can fight over why the poor guy should be beheaded and therefore make this world a safer place...etc].

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 11:46:40 AM »
Giving into terrorists will likely yeild terrible results.

Confronting terrorists has all ready yeilded terrible results.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Thank God at least this one person is safe.

darren

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nader / Camejo 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 05:49:34 PM »
     Following the United States' lead, which I admit isnít always the best thing to do, the rest of NATO had taken the stance that dealing with terrorists was incredibly counter-productive and not something that would be done.  However, the Philippines put the survival of one man over the future sovereignty of our world. I am not trying to sound incredibly insensitive, I am glad that man did not die; I just believe it was the wrong choice for the masses of the world.

The Philippines had already planned to remove their personnel from Iraq in August before this incident, so bringing them home was a small sacrifice to make.  President Arroyo was in a very precarious political position following a disputed election a couple of months ago, and letting this man die would have been EXTREMELY unpopular in her country, to the point that she could have lost control entirely.  I lived in Manila for a large portion of my life, and people here in the west don't quite realize how tenuous the situation is there.  I wasn't surprised by the decision, and I supported it fully.

As for the world's future in dealing with terrorism, I don't think it will make any great difference.  The terrorists aren't so silly to think that they could threaten the resolve of the US.  They'll only ever be successful in manipulating minor players like the Philippines.
GPA - 3.55 Overall, 3.75 Last 3 Years
LSAT - 169,171 on Timed Practice Tests

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 05:58:38 PM »
 "The terrorists aren't so silly to think that they could threaten the resolve of the US."

Then what in the heck do you think they are trying to do???
3.8/155

buster

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 09:03:49 AM »
Many observers believe that the outcome of the Spanish elections was altered not by the attacks themselves, but by some combination of the pre-existing opposition to Spain's participation in Iraq and displeasure at the government's attempt to portray the attacks as having been committed by Basque separatist rather than Islamic terrorists. It is not at all clear (nor can it be, really) that the attacks altered the outcome of the elections in the way you suggest. Furthermore, "abandon" what "allegiances?" It seems to me that participation in a democratic election does not constitute abandoning allegiance. Unless, of course, you mean allegiance to the US, which is not something the Spanish populace can be reasonably expected to have.

Anyway, regarding your point, I think the diminished safety of the world as a result of the Philippines pulling their handful of troops out of Iraq a few weeks early is a non-factor. The question of whether or not to negotiate with terrorists is always a difficult one -- easier to address in principle than in reality. In general, I tend to favor actions based on principle rather than expediency (yes, I understand that expediency is a harsh word when we're talking about a person's life, but I think it applies here), but I just don't know what I would do if this were my decision to make.

First, they altered the outcome of the Spanish elections then they make an entire country abandon allegiances.

jgruber

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 12:04:10 AM »
"The terrorists aren't so silly to think that they could threaten the resolve of the US."

What does this mean?  threaten the resolve?

jrhc1210

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.85/Oct
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jrhc1210
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2004, 12:35:50 AM »
Generally I'm against giving in to terrorist demands. This case is different, however, as the Phillipines were going to pull their people out anyway...they just accelerated their plans by a week to save the hostage's life. At least, that's the situation as I understand it