Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stupid question about the 25%/75% LSAT numbers  (Read 399 times)

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stupid question about the 25%/75% LSAT numbers
« on: December 26, 2005, 01:08:01 PM »
So I should know this by now, but I'm not really sure on it.

I figure that the 25% LSAT numbers published are the lower 25% average of the school, but I'm not sure about the 75% one, is it the top 75%, or the bottom 75% because if it's the bottom 75% then their actual average for the whole school would be higher, but if it's the lower 75% then the average would be lower, so I'm a bit confused, if anyone could clarify this I would greatly appreciate it  :)

r.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey psycho stalker spy!
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid question about the 25%/75% LSAT numbers
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 01:12:13 PM »
So I should know this by now, but I'm not really sure on it.

I figure that the 25% LSAT numbers published are the lower 25% average of the school, but I'm not sure about the 75% one, is it the top 75%, or the bottom 75% because if it's the bottom 75% then their actual average for the whole school would be higher, but if it's the lower 75% then the average would be lower, so I'm a bit confused, if anyone could clarify this I would greatly appreciate it  :)

The #s mean this:

If there were 100 students attending school x, the 25% value is the 25th lowest lsat score (so 25 percent of the class has this score or lower).

The 75% # is the 25th highest scoring student (so 25 % of the class scored this score or even higher).
Byron's Don Juan:  Booker T. Washington Elementary School
Milton's Paradise Lost: Middle School

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 01:40:27 PM »
Oh thank you so much that makes me happy  ;D at least at one of my top 2 I'm only a point below the 75% number.

The only part of this that scares me then is that I thought it was an average and not that they scored that number or higher, this means that with my GPA I have a 3.0 and at both of those schools the 25% number is 3.11 and 3.3, so if I were to go there they'd have to lower their lowest GPA to fit mine, that isn't very good at all...

TheJesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 01:42:54 PM »
In other words, if a school's 25-75% LSAT numbers for it's 2005 entering class were 158-162, this means that a quarter of that school's 2005 entering class had LSAT scores below 158, a quarter of them had LSAT scores above 162, and the remaining students had scores that fell somewhere in between 158 and 162...

When used in conjunction with the school's 25-75% GPA numbers, these stats help applicants gauge their chances at a particular school...for example, if your GPA falls below the 25% number of a certain school's GPA range, then your LSAT score would probbaly have to be above that schools 75% number of their LSAT range in order for you to have a realistic shot at admissions...

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 01:45:12 PM »
Oh I confused myself again, so then they had people who had lower than those GPA's , but only 25% had lower than that, so that means I'll have less of a chance then since my GPA is less than their bottom 25% and my LSAT is a tad short of their top 75%.

TheJesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 01:49:46 PM »
Oh I confused myself again, so then they had people who had lower than those GPA's , but only 25% had lower than that, so that means I'll have less of a chance then since my GPA is less than their bottom 25% and my LSAT is a tad short of their top 75%.

being close to thier 75% LSAT should still make you pretty competitive, depending on how far beneath the 25% GPA number you are...

jballer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 03:15:33 PM »
It doesn't necessarily mean that if a school's 25 %tile is 162...then 25% of the school got lower than 162.  It means that 25% of the school got either 162 or lower.  So its kinda tricky because maybe the 10th %tile will be 162 as well. 
My LSAT is actually at or slightly below the 25 %tile of most of the schools I'm applyin to...hoping a few schools give some more weight to my gpa