Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Canadian Law School Chances...HELP  (Read 1818 times)

mtheta

• View Profile
Canadian Law School Chances...HELP
« on: December 25, 2005, 11:38:06 PM »
Most people on here seem to be applying to US schools so its hard to get solid advice.  Anyone else admitted or waiting for Canadian Law schools for 2006.  How were your LSAT scores/ CGPA? I scored a 154 and I plan on re-taking in Feb.  Reading the other boards people talk about a 162-165 being bad, but I honestly am o.k with my score, but would be really happy with a 160.  What is realistic? Any advice out there?

Thanks!
GPA - 3.5
LSAT - Dec' 05
Applying - UVIC, UNB, DHAL, UofC, SASK

mikey_10

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Canadian Law School Chances...HELP
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 11:59:42 AM »
How was your GPA and how were your soft factors?

CBGB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 02:03:16 PM »
It'll depend on which schools you're looking at. A 3.5 and 154 could probably get you into a few schools, probably UNB, USask. Depending on your soft factors and work experience, you might have a good shot at Ottawa, Windsor, and Calgary. You also might have an outside chance at Western and Queen's, but I'd guess those are probably long shots unless you rewrite the LSAT.

ewiar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 02:06:43 PM »
Have you tried lawstudents.ca?

Great community - and it's focused exclusively on Canadian law schools.
LSAT: 178
GPA: 3.95
(Canadian)

mtheta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 08:40:12 PM »
I missed the Ontario application deadline, except for Windsor JD/LLB program, which I will apply to.  I am going to apply to UNB, DALH, SASK, UofC, UVIC.  I honestly could care less were I go, so I'm not all that worried.  I would love to stay on the West Coast, but the compitition is fierce. Some good volunteer work, I'm in a sorority which supports youth advocacy in the courts. 
I'm feeling a little better about the 154, but will still re-take.
lawstudents.ca is a great site, but not as active I find.  More realistic then the US LSAT scores (175's trying to get into Harvard).
GPA - 3.5
LSAT - Dec' 05

CBGB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 12:04:46 PM »
I'd say Dalhousie and UVic are both pretty big reaches with a 154, but maybe not impossible. You should have a shot at the other schools you mentioned though. All things considered, I think it makes most sense for you to retake the LSAT, since all of these schools will take your best LSAT score, so you have nothing to lose.

9JEN5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 05:08:37 PM »
Its so subjective on who reads your application. Also on what other apps they are going through that day and how yours compares to the rest. As for numbers, I just got an acceptance into UOttawa with a 3.63 and 153. My soft factors weren't anything too oustanding so keep those fingers crossed!

mtheta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 05:56:57 PM »
9Jen5, thats awsome, Congrats.  I re-wrote the LSAT yesterday and I feel pretty good about it.  All my applications are in so now I just wait. 
GPA - 3.5
LSAT - Dec' 05

costaragas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 01:50:50 PM »
You're not in bad shape. But I agree with most of the others, it all depends on your "soft factors" like work experience, volunteering, extra-curriculars, sports, etc... Another big element to your application is your PERSONAL STATEMENT.

I wouldn't worry about it though. A 3.5 is Dean's List quality at most schools, so the admissions officers will know you're a smart cookie.

Good luck,
Costa Ragas
Canadian Law School Admissions Web
http://www.clsaweb.com