Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: application honesty question???  (Read 13313 times)

bluedemon

• View Profile
application honesty question???
« on: July 16, 2004, 06:45:37 PM »
I am preparing to apply to law schhols and am wondering if I need to detail my entire academic history.  I want to leave off a community college I went to in the early 90s where i recieved two Withdrawals and two F's.  My current university does not know of this record.  Is their any paper trail or electronic database connecting me to this record?  Would law schools be able to find it or poosibly later  would the bar?  Is honesty truly the best policy? (Most)Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: application honesty question???
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 06:48:06 PM »
Can I ask why you think you shouldn't have to follow the instructions like the rest of us?

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 06:56:19 PM »
the bar will probably find out about it when you apply therse. beyond that even if they did not it would always be hanging over your head.  you should disclose it

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 06:57:23 PM »
Part of the process of becoming a lawyer is for the powers to be to determine if your upright enough to join the club.

You do not want them to find out later that you witheld information.

I wish I could have left out some my early grades.

It's not worth the risk.

Bman

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 11:13:06 PM »
I agree. Even if the law school doesn't find out and if the bar doesn't catch it at first, it will always be hanging over your head, waiting to be discovered. really not worth the risk/

dta

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 12:02:09 AM »
You should disclose, but not for many of the reasons given. The fact of the matter is that if you do not disclose you will almost certainly not be caught, neither by your school nor by the bar. There is no centralized database containing everyone's school records (sorry conspiracy theorists). The schools to which you apply, and the bar, would have to go around the country checking every single school to see if you ever attended there. Further, this strategy, besides being completely impractical, would likely not work even if implemented because unless compelled by court order a school is unlikely to grant an entire inventory of previous students.

Do disclose - because it's the right and honest thing to do. But you are very unlikely to get caught if you don't.

bluedemon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 12:28:45 AM »
Thank you to (almost) all that have replied.  The more I have thought about it, I believe that honesty is the best policy.  I have decided to try and ignore some of the competitive pressures of law school applications.  I am confident that I will get a law degree even if it does not come with institutional prestige.  Besides, I am pursuing a law degree for a few different reasons, one of which is to try and insure that wrongs are righted.  Therefore, I believe that lying on an admissions application would become a serious regret.  Moreover, I am pretty confident that this is an all too common circumstance for applicants (a blemish somewhere in the academic record). In closing, I have not felt the need to lie about my past until this point; thus, I am led to believe that this is merely a lapse of judgement due to stress.  Again, thanks for the input.   

dta

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 12:44:00 AM »
If you ever decided to go into politics, you could bet that it very well might get discovered. Not by the bar (you've already got your license) but by some industrious reporter. So, if you aspire to politics at all you can comfort yourself in knowing that doing the right thing is also in concert with your own selfish interest.

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 04:57:08 AM »
Thank you to (almost) all that have replied.  The more I have thought about it, I believe that honesty is the best policy.  I have decided to try and ignore some of the competitive pressures of law school applications.  I am confident that I will get a law degree even if it does not come with institutional prestige.  Besides, I am pursuing a law degree for a few different reasons, one of which is to try and insure that wrongs are righted.  Therefore, I believe that lying on an admissions application would become a serious regret.  Moreover, I am pretty confident that this is an all too common circumstance for applicants (a blemish somewhere in the academic record). In closing, I have not felt the need to lie about my past until this point; thus, I am led to believe that this is merely a lapse of judgement due to stress.  Again, thanks for the input.   

That is an excellent attitude, and I am with you 100%.  When I decided that I wanted to go to law school, I decided that I wanted to go to law school, not to Yale or Columbia.  I will be happy no matter where I end up.

bluedemon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2004, 02:51:14 PM »
Thank you Kwertee.