Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone have some input on my chances of acceptance?  (Read 769 times)

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone have some input on my chances of acceptance?
« on: December 25, 2005, 07:36:35 PM »
So I'm worried because my GPA is fairly low, it's a 3.0 (3.25)
I hear that GPA means a lot less than LSAT, and I got a 160, but I look at the stats, and although my 160 looks ok for my top 2 schools (Loyola and Pepperdine), my GPA still falls .1-.3 below their bottom 25% of GPA scores.

Just wondering from your opinions from looking at statistics and all that, how bad my GPA would hurt my chances, I know there's a lot of other factors, and I don't have great soft factors other than the fact that I worked a lot through school, I just didn't have much volunteer work, and I'm trying to have my PS explain my low GPA (by the fact that I had to work during school).  I know that won't help me totally overcome my GPA, hopefully it will help a little though.

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Anyone have some input on my chances of acceptance?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 08:27:29 PM »
I don't think GPA is as big a factor as the LSAT- but it does help to be in the 25-75 range.

of course, 25% of the class is below the 25% number; I think a lot of these people are URM admits though.

DetectiveKimble

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 10:30:07 PM »
Try:

http://officialguide.lsac.org/UGPASearch/Search3.aspx?SidString=

It's been helpful to for me so far.  I think the general consensus is that less than a 40% chance and the school is a reach.

I don't think GPA is as big a factor as the LSAT- but it does help to be in the 25-75 range.

of course, 25% of the class is below the 25% number; I think a lot of these people are URM admits though.

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 10:50:44 PM »
Try:

It's been helpful to for me so far.  I think the general consensus is that less than a 40% chance and the school is a reach.

Is that really pretty accurate?  Because according to their numbers, I'm not horrible, but the GPA does really mess me up, but even when I raise my GPA on their filter, it still doesn't show that high of a chance...

Terabithia

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 12:44:27 PM »
GOOD AT PEPPERDINE, NOT SO GOOD AT LOYOLA, UNLESS U R A URM. THEN U IN AT BOTH.

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 01:10:05 PM »
By the way, not a URM.

I figured I was better for Pepperdine, only thing is that my GPA is closer to the bottom 25% of Loyola, but then again I hear that means a lot less.  I know a couple of teachers at Loyola and I'm going to call them, I just hope I at least get into one of those 2, I really don't like the UGPA/LSAT filter because it shows my chances at both of those at under 50%!

DetectiveKimble

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 03:53:21 PM »
What is your major?  Or, could you better explain why you have a 3.0?  Your LSAT is pretty good.  If you put in 3.3 and a 160, you have a very good change at Pepperdine.  So, I'm not sure what numbers you put in there.  3.0 and a 160, and the chances don't look so good. 

Also check lawschoolnumbers.com.  For the last cycle, there were three applicants with similar numbers to yours and one got in (the other two were waitlisted).  If it's helpful, the one with your exact numbers got into USD and California Western.  Either way, I would apply.  Good luck.

Try:

Is that really pretty accurate?  Because according to their numbers, I'm not horrible, but the GPA does really mess me up, but even when I raise my GPA on their filter, it still doesn't show that high of a chance...

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 07:41:10 PM »
What is your major?  Or, could you better explain why you have a 3.0?  Your LSAT is pretty good.  If you put in 3.3 and a 160, you have a very good change at Pepperdine.  So, I'm not sure what numbers you put in there.  3.0 and a 160, and the chances don't look so good. 

Also check lawschoolnumbers.com.  For the last cycle, there were three applicants with similar numbers to yours and one got in (the other two were waitlisted).  If it's helpful, the one with your exact numbers got into USD and California Western.  Either way, I would apply.  Good luck.

Try:

My major is Political Science, the reason for my GPA is that I have always worked full-time or more throughout school since I had to support myself, and I was more interested in getting out and having a social life for the first 2 years or so of college.  In the last 2-3 years (I also took 5 years to graduate which might not be the greatest) I've had a much better GPA, but still probably only about a 3.3 or so.  I think work has been the biggest reason why my GPA is low, and I am definately aiming my PS at explaining that.

MarineSP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 10:00:29 PM »
i say study for the LSAT more, perhaps take a prep course. retake the test to secure your chances at Loyola.

DetectiveKimble

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 10:25:32 PM »
I don't think your PS should be making excuses for your GPA.  Write a unique and good PS about whatever you want.  You can write an addendum explaining your GPA and attach that to your application.  I highly suggest doing that, rather than trying to slip something about that in your PS.  Don't get me wrong, if your PS is about busting your ass and supporting yourself and having a hard life, it works.  Either way, definitely explain your GPA.  Your 160 says that you're much better than a 3.0 student.

My major is Political Science, the reason for my GPA is that I have always worked full-time or more throughout school since I had to support myself, and I was more interested in getting out and having a social life for the first 2 years or so of college.  In the last 2-3 years (I also took 5 years to graduate which might not be the greatest) I've had a much better GPA, but still probably only about a 3.3 or so.  I think work has been the biggest reason why my GPA is low, and I am definately aiming my PS at explaining that.
[/quote]