Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reporting non-degree-related coursework  (Read 852 times)

egg

Reporting non-degree-related coursework
« on: July 16, 2004, 06:21:00 PM »
I have something of a confusing problem. I understand that we are obligated to report all coursework from every institution to LSDAS, but I'm actually having a disagreement with a community college about my enrollment, and don't know whether to report a course that I took there.

Sometime after my BA (~5 years ago), I took an evening community college art history course just for fun. It is unrelated to any other work that I have done (2BAs, MA); I registered in-state, paid $30, got an A, and forgot about it. One year later, they charged me $400 worth of out-of-state tuition fees, having rejected the evidence of residence that I provided the year before and simply not notified me about it (I wouldn't have taken the course, had they made this known to me in time to avoid the fee).

I absolutely disagree with the institution about the terms of my enrollment, and feel tricked into a heavy retroactive fee that's now 4 years old. I cannot afford pay this fee (and, on principle, don't feel that I should), but they will not release my transcript until I do. My question: If I do not include this course, am I in violation of LSDAS rules? Will I be found out, disqualified, or physically beaten by AdComms?

In any other circumstance, I would simply send the transcript. But I don't want to concede this point and pay $400 in order to include a community college course that adds no advantage to my already coursework-heavy application. On the other hand, I would hate for something so trivial to mar my law school application in some way.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation. Anybody have any insight? Thanks!

jd4me

• gpa 3.49/lsat Oct
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reporting non-degree-related coursework
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 07:22:55 PM »
If you want to apply to law school, you will have to pay the $400. It doesn't matter that you took it for personal interests - you're still obligated to submit the transcript. You don't want to spend 3 yrs in law school, sit for the bar, and have this bite you in the butt. What's $400 compared to $120,000?

Have you tried contacting the cc to negotiate another settlement?  It doesn't hurt to try, although they probably won't budge an inch. Just pay them and be happy the grade was an A and not an F. Of course if you're not going to law school and never plan on getting a job where they require a thorough background check, you can blow them off.  Good luck.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 07:30:23 PM »
I thought there was some option for people who have a financial hold on their transcript.  Contact LSAC; they'll know better than anyone posting on this board.  You can also try contacting the law schools you're applying to to see how they feel about it.  But I would definitely check LSAC.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

katrina at law

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 10:31:53 PM »
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,2195.0.html

According to this thread, LSAC does not factor in grades after the completion of your first degree.  However, that doesn't mean that you don't have to send in it... best to e-mail LSAC and ask them.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 10:47:31 PM »
It seems to me the school feels you want to keep this grade.  I would just tell them delete the A, and call it even.  Sounds real simplistic, but could work.  You could also appeal the grade, have it removed because you took it under false pretenses. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 03:20:38 PM »
I agree with others suggesting you call lsac.  The course in no way counts to your undergraduate degree, so it doesn't factor in any way into your "numbers."  That, and I'd dispute the school and see what your options are, since it sounds like they're trying to take you for a ride.

egg

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 05:57:27 PM »
Thanks for the input, everyone! We're certainly obligated to send in all transcripts, it just seems a bit less clear when you're disputing your own enrollment. I hadn't thought to contact LSAC about the issue- I'll give it a shot when the website comes back up next week.