Law School Discussion

Undergraduate question

Undergraduate question
« on: December 25, 2005, 03:35:29 AM »
Hello,
Do law schools care about the quality of the undergraduate school an applicant has attended?

Also, I have heard the major doesn't really matter in admissions. However, job wise, I have read some engineering is good with IP law. How about Computer Science? Does it go well with IP?

Thanks

Re: Undergraduate question
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 04:16:18 AM »
You'll need a technical degree to take the patent bar. As for quality of UG, there was a time when LS applied a modifier to your GPA based on the quality of your UG and any grade inflation. Those days are gone, however, and while you might lose out to someone who went to a better school than you that has the same stats, overall, it will not make that much of a difference.

Going to a Tier 1 makes your GPA look better, though.

postal007

• Bite Me Fergie
    • View Profile
Re: Undergraduate question
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 02:34:18 PM »
If you want to do IP Law, then yes, a hard science (i.e. physics, chem) or engineering degree will help you out a great deal IF you want to do patent litigation/prosecution.  In order to prosecute patents, you need to have passed the Patent Bar (it is a test, separate from the bar exam) which requires a technical or science degree (but NOT a law degree).  Note that for a CS major, your degree has to be accredited or you can apply through the general option (which requires a certain number of units in design/project courses as well as chem/physics).  All that info is here: http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/olia/oed/grb15nov05.pdf

If you want to do copyright/trademark etc., I think that having a technical degree is less necessary.  The quality of your undergrad and grade inflation might affect your chances a little bit, but a 4.0 from a TTT will probably beat a 3.5 from HYP, assuming all other factors are the same.  USNEWS doesn't care about where the GPA is from.