Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I Re-take LSAT or just apply?  (Read 4553 times)

Noor Botaflika

Re:Should I Re-take LSAT or just apply?
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2003, 11:34:26 PM »
Hello, to respond to your concern:

I am Noor and think you should retake the test, I have a friend who had a score just a bit higher than yours, she retook it after intense practice, and got a 168, and now she is my classmate at the University of Chicago Law school. This is rather the exception and not the rule, but as the saying goes: practice makes perfect. Shes doing fine here at Chicago, and is considering corporate law
............................. ...Best of Luck......................... ..............

Calibound

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
Re:Should I Re-take LSAT or just apply?
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2003, 12:10:16 PM »
I took the LSAT Dec. 13th and I think I bombed. I'm interested only in schools in Cali and I know that Cali schools have a very competitive admission process. I have a 3.1 GPA. I'm strongly considering taking the test again in Feb.
 All suggestions are welcome

Ithacabomber

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
Re: Should I Re-take LSAT or just apply?
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2004, 06:46:12 PM »
I HAVE A UGPA OF A 3.4 AND A LSAT OF 141 I APPLIED TO UNIV OF BUFFALO STETSON CAMPBELL ST LOUIS U OF BALT AND STCL. I just got my reject letter from UNIV OF BUFF. and am depressed. I HAVE GREAT RECS and HAVE SOLID RESUME (HOUSE OF COMMONS AND LEGAL AID CENTER) What do you think? PLEASE REPLY

David Bakody

• LSAT 151 GPA 3.53
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2004, 12:29:26 AM »
It's going to be tough, but not impossible.  I think you meet the Thomas Cooley index and could probably gain admission there, and likewise I think Thurgood Marshall in Texas might be an option to look into.

Another an opton to consider would be a non-ABA law school.  That's a risky choice and *could* be very limiting to your career, but if you are determined to practice law and are shut out of the ABA schools - don't rule out non-ABA.  Some might say forget it - it's either ABA or nothing, but if you are truly 100% bat out of hell determined to go to law school... look into the options.

Are you in the northeast?  You might consider Southern New England School of Law (www.snesl.edu).  It's non-ABA for the moment, but they've been working hard to get ABA accrediting.  Also, one school I know little about but doesn't even use the LSAT is Mass School of Law.  It's non-ABA, but seems to produce a lot of lawyers.

http://www.mslaw.edu/

bobfett33

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2004, 12:38:27 AM »
I'm sure you know this, but my numbers put an LSAT score of 141 at about the 17th percentile.  I would highly recommend that you re-take the test.  If you could raise your score by just nine points (which would mean 17 more correct answers), you'd have a 150, which is about the 47th percentile - that's MUCH better!

thorc954

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 07:46:29 PM »
I just found out that I got a 159 on the LSAT. I have a 4.0 GPA. I was hoping to score in the 160s and apply to a top 10 law school. Should I take the LSAT over again?  With a 159, do I have a chance of getting into UVa, UT law, Boston COllege at least ?

I wouldnt retake. Unless you hit 180 and reach the 169 average, the chances of UVA are slim. People got into BC w/ 161s, so if the personal statement is good, you have a shot. Take a chance. UNC takes the highest score it seems, so if you retake, its an option.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 10:31:37 PM »
I just found out that I got a 159 on the LSAT. I have a 4.0 GPA. I was hoping to score in the 160s and apply to a top 10 law school. Should I take the LSAT over again?  With a 159, do I have a chance of getting into UVa, UT law, Boston COllege at least ?

I wouldnt retake. Unless you hit 180 and reach the 169 average, the chances of UVA are slim. People got into BC w/ 161s, so if the personal statement is good, you have a shot. Take a chance. UNC takes the highest score it seems, so if you retake, its an option.

Whats funny is that the original post is close to three years old. Heck, the dude could be receiving his JD next month :)

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."