Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: why are umd's numbers so much lower?  (Read 3434 times)

Re: why are umd's numbers so much lower?
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 11:33:11 PM »
there are more to rankings than lsat/gpa scores.  for instance, michigan and berkeley both take scores in the same range as school far below them...

I dont know why that is, but boalt really isn't any more selective than fordham

Boalt has one of the lowest acceptance rates, and will not take high lsat/low gpa splitters.  I think Boalt could certainly choose a class with better numbers than it does, but for some reason they prefer a 3.8/162 to a 3.3/176. 

the reason is that they can't use race to pick URMs so they have to guess who is a URM and who isn't...they probably have to take 15 160/3.8s to get 5 URMs. in general they skew low LSAT/high gpa because statistically they know that there are hardly any URMs that score above a 170.

OK, thats a reasonable explanation, but it doesn't make Boalt (with its 10% acceptance rate) equal in selectivity to Fordham (19%).  Boalt is harder to get into for your average 7-14 applicant (say 3.6/170) than any other 7-14.

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 01:32:42 AM »
there are more to rankings than lsat/gpa scores.  for instance, michigan and berkeley both take scores in the same range as school far below them...

Boalt has one of the lowest acceptance rates, and will not take high lsat/low gpa splitters.  I think Boalt could certainly choose a class with better numbers than it does, but for some reason they prefer a 3.8/162 to a 3.3/176. 

the reason is that they can't use race to pick URMs so they have to guess who is a URM and who isn't...they probably have to take 15 160/3.8s to get 5 URMs. in general they skew low LSAT/high gpa because statistically they know that there are hardly any URMs that score above a 170.

OK, thats a reasonable explanation, but it doesn't make Boalt (with its 10% acceptance rate) equal in selectivity to Fordham (19%).  Boalt is harder to get into for your average 7-14 applicant (say 3.6/170) than any other 7-14.
boalt is also much much easier to get into for anyone with a 161/3.9 than any other top school, where basically they would have no chance. and there are a lot more 161/3.9s than 170/3.6s
acceptance rates aren't a fair proxy for selectivity because more people apply to boalt as a reach because they know boalt takes some low lsat people and because boalt is one of only two top law schools in CA. the numbers for fordham/boalt are really close
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 11:45:28 AM »
I don't like Boalt at all, so I don't know why I got into sticking up for them, but my last piece of evidence for their selectivity is that they rejected Suicide Nixon despite his impressive 3.64/173.  Nixon, Fordham would have given you a full ride, they are much less selective.  I guess you're stuck at NYU now  ::).

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 06:41:14 PM »
I don't like Boalt at all, so I don't know why I got into sticking up for them, but my last piece of evidence for their selectivity is that they rejected Suicide Nixon despite his impressive 3.64/173.  Nixon, Fordham would have given you a full ride, they are much less selective.  I guess you're stuck at NYU now  ::).

it's not really more selective if they end up with a class with approximately the same numbers. I grant that boalt is perhaps somewhat more selective than fordham, but it's very close. and fordham is ranked like 20 spots lower and has 100 students more in its class. however boalt's selectivity is a major concern for it going forward.

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 10:49:46 AM »

I was going to reply...but this is not worth the time.
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2006, 12:34:55 PM »

I was going to reply...but this is not worth the time.

look, what's so hard about this: 1) Boalt can't use race (fact) 2) Boalt wants URMs in the class (obvious) 3)URMs especially African Americans rarely score above a 165 (fact)

I'm not saying the people Boalt admits are less *worthy*.