• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: are asians urm?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 05:11:46 PM »
asians are not.

dunson

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 05:20:14 PM »
no they will show your numbers in the minority listings of law school diversity, but you are far from underrepresented.

New Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sunshines through my window
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 06:48:00 PM »
if you are philpino, vietnamese, samoan, or from burudi you are a URM.

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 07:06:56 PM »
"asian" is a ridiculous category because it encompasses groups that are vastly overrepresented (e.g. chinese) and those that are vastly underrepresented (e.g. cambodian). if you just check "asian" and don't elaborate, i'm pretty sure admissions committees will not consider you a minority. if you're from a group that is not overrepresented, you should send law schools a statement about it and it will probably help.

even within overepresented groups you can get points for diversity. e.g. if you're from eastern china, that probably counts for something (but spell it out in your statement). if you're first generation and had to learn english in school, that would probably count for something too.

"hispanic/latino" has similar problems, just to a lesser extent. most latin@s in the US are puerto rican or mexican, and are underrepresented. cubans are overrepresented in higher ed, at least here in massachusetts, as are argentinians and chileans, i believe.

case '09

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 11:50:34 PM »
i think the categories are standardized, but that doesn't mean that oklahoma or baylor won't value asians more than, say, berkeley.
case '09

AceJackSuited

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 12:04:13 AM »
i am asian and got into Bama with numbers at their 25th percentile, which is usually auto-ding. However, Alabama has NO Asians in their incoming class last year, so I believe it depends on schools.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2005, 12:43:19 AM »
Well, obviously if you apply to a Southern school as anything but white, you'll probably get URM status. But for most of the urban or top schools, being Asian might actually hurt.

Vainglory

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2005, 12:44:52 AM »
if you are philpino, vietnamese, samoan, or from burudi you are a URM.

Right, I believe Souteast Asian is a URM, and definitely Pacific Islander.
Takin the checkered: Minnesota, UIUC, Florida, FSU, Wake Forest, Duke
In the pits: Notre Dame, Northwestern
Crashed out: UCLA, Michigan, GULC, Chicago, UVA

Green flag: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Vainglory

john83

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2005, 01:17:29 AM »
Well, obviously if you apply to a Southern school as anything but white, you'll probably get URM status. But for most of the urban or top schools, being Asian might actually hurt.

being asian probably never *hurts* anyone. and i assume that at southern schools asians aren't necessarily URMs, but do receive special consideration. as far as eastern schools, being asian makes you slightly more attractive than being white, but otherwise is meaningless. and on the west coast (i.e. California), being asian might be seen as a lesser attractive candidate than many caucasians simply because asians are well (over) represented in that part of the country.

it really does depend on the school. although, my take is simply that there are certain races that schools look for. and asian is not one of them. however, they do prefer asians over whites to boost minority. so, if you're asian and your app is comparable to a caucasian, and they have only one spot-- you get it.