Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Issues for 180s  (Read 1464 times)

tanner9585

Issues for 180s
« on: December 23, 2005, 09:45:04 PM »
I opened up my e-mail today and was surprised to find that I got a 180 on the December LSAT.

I have really just been trying to take all this in all day because I still don't believe this, but I have also been wondering how this should affect my application when I write my personal statements, etc.  Despite this score, my chances of getting into Yale are still below 50% because of my 3.72 GPA.  I am also probably applying to Harvard, NYU, and Columbia, all of which I have pretty good chances at according to the Chiashu website.

Does anyone have any advice for what I should be focusing on now?  Should I write my personal statement like I didn't know my LSAT score?  I am worried that I might have an additional burden on my now to look really good so that the score doesn't look like a fluke.

Also, I have been told that law schools will try to recruit me and such.  Does anyone know anything about what I should expect, if anything?

Regards

lawstudent3

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Issues for 180s
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 10:13:55 PM »
Just go about things as if you got any other score.  As long as you don't royally screw things up, you will probably get into Harvard.

(PS, congrats!)

heybrent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 10:16:31 PM »
I opened up my e-mail today and was surprised to find that I got a 180 on the December LSAT.

I have really just been trying to take all this in all day because I still don't believe this, but I have also been wondering how this should affect my application when I write my personal statements, etc.  Despite this score, my chances of getting into Yale are still below 50% because of my 3.72 GPA.  I am also probably applying to Harvard, NYU, and Columbia, all of which I have pretty good chances at according to the Chiashu website.

Does anyone have any advice for what I should be focusing on now?  Should I write my personal statement like I didn't know my LSAT score?  I am worried that I might have an additional burden on my now to look really good so that the score doesn't look like a fluke.

Also, I have been told that law schools will try to recruit me and such.  Does anyone know anything about what I should expect, if anything?

Regards

tanner,

first of all congratulations.  i got a 180 on the october LSAT, and it is, indeed, quite a rush.

the difference between 180 and an almost equally high score, say, 175-179 always seemed rather small to me (very few questions.)  it is a very different thing psychologically, though, to make a perfect score.  if anything, though, i'm chalking it up more to good preparation than any extra intelligence beyond a normal 170er (i still don't believe there's much difference.)

your score will help you get into excellent schools.  i don't think, however, that anyone's chances at yale or stanford are close to 100%, no matter what their numbers are.  work hard on the rest of your application--neither slack off nor apply extra pressure to yourself due to your scores.  as i understand law school admissions, numbers are important, but the rest of the application is the place to give committees incentive to make a tenative yes definite.  if anything shift the focus of your PS away from your academic prowess to your other great personal characteristics.  

certain law schools recruit all high scorers, even some top law schools will provide application fee waivers and financial aid assistance.  focus on figuring out which school is best for you, though.  it may end up being H, Y, or S, schools which notoriously do not provide merit based incentives...

good luck!

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 10:33:32 PM »
if the 180 is too much for you and you would like to trade, let me know.  I'm sure LSAC can help us arrange something.

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 10:33:53 PM »
by the way-

CONGRATS!!!   8)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 10:37:00 PM »
Make sure you are participating in the Candidate Referall Service.  That score and GPA surely will get you some fee waivers.

Your personal statement shouldn't be about your score or mention your score.  It should be about you.  The adcomm will be very aware of your score without you mentioning it.

As heybrent said, nobody gets 100% chances.  Put in a lot of effort into crafting a solid personal statement.  But with your scores, don't risk anything too crazy.  Just make it a straight up, well written, interesting statement.

jwilcox1024

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 11:48:50 PM »
First of all, congrats.

I wrote my personal statement as if it was  necessary to push my application over the edge at the schools I wanted to attend even though I had a 180. I didn't want to over-rely on any aspect of my application. That should make it clear that my advice is to approach your PS the same way you would have last week.
Goal: Penn, NYU, Duke, Michigan, Northwestern, Chicago
Pad Save: Columbia
Glove Save: Stanford

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jwilcox1024

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 11:51:26 PM »
you 180 people make me sick- mostly because i am jealous.  actually- its all because i am jealous.

you people are awesome.  i think LSAC should give you a trophy or something if you get a 180

snikrep

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 12:01:51 AM »
Remember, Toby is more nervous about calling you, than you are about talking with him.  If he doesn't at least have one section full of 180's, he doesn't get the yearly bonus (a wonderful ham with "YALE SUCKS" burned into the side).

For your PS just write, "Toby, you know you want to call me, I'm not going to waste your time with meaningless personal crap, I have a 180, you know we were meant to be, give me some love Tobymeister."

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 12:03:35 AM »
Remember, Toby is more nervous about calling you, than you are about talking with him.  If he doesn't at least have one section full of 180's, he doesn't get the yearly bonus (a wonderful ham with "YALE SUCKS" burned into the side).

For your PS just write, "Toby, you know you want to call me, I'm not going to waste your time with meaningless personal crap, I have a 180, you know we were meant to be, give me some love Tobymeister."

i wish someone would try that.