Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do admissions people accept people from the top down?  (Read 836 times)

lawstudent3

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Do admissions people accept people from the top down?
« on: December 23, 2005, 05:42:41 PM »
That's the way it has *appeared* thus far this year.  Almost all admits in the first few waves of major schools have been auto-admit territory, and in the second and third waves, extremely solid candidates that were very likely admits.  Perhaps this is why I haven't heard back from my targets yet (not counting an EA deferral where they send out all decisions by a certain date) and yet have already gotten into my two safeties.  Thoughts?

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Do admissions people accept people from the top down?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 05:46:50 PM »
makes sense; why would they fill up their class with ppl that are less qualified than applications they may get in the next month or so.

radioflire

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Not part of the crowd, but not feeling alone."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 08:20:07 AM »
This would seem to tbe the case, but I was not an auto-admit by any means at UVA. (Michigan either, for that matter.) I got in at both schools pretty early.
Even Better Than The Real Thing: CHICAGO
Beautiful Day: Michigan!! Virginia!! William & Mary $$
Surrender: Northwestern, Boalt, ND, IU, HYS

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=radioflire

john83

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 11:45:33 AM »
yeah. maybe a bit of both. schools probably admit the most attractive candidates early, before other schools attempt to attract them as well. i think that if a school sends you an offer in the first wave, that must mean they really want you and they hope that they can lock you in before other schools offer.

which might explain why some non auto-admits get in on the first wave. they probably see these candidates as very attractive for other reasons and want to get their name in there early.

much the same way that we apply to schools way back in october (even september)-- to get our name in early.

HairMetalRulz

• its 5 o clock somewhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 11:53:03 AM »
I might venture to say that schools also might make early offers to students who demonstrate they really want to attend that school and its their first choice, if the student has acceptable numbers (i.e. at the medians).  This is purely speculation but it might make sense from the standpoint that they want to get qualified people in and get as many seats filled as early as possible.  Because really, if you're an auto-admit at a school, chances are that you will NOT be attending (and I'm sure adcomms are painfully aware of this).
161, 3.64.... fingers crossed for something, anything really
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=tfateach

dunson

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 11:55:43 AM »
daveman, of course that is the case.  werent you around last cycle when the autoadmits were rolling in acceptances while everyone else panicked for a few weeks?  you'll be alright for some solid 15-30 schools dude.  stay positive.