Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD 1L Happy to take questions  (Read 9245 times)

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
Re: USD 1L Happy to take questions
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2006, 03:49:56 PM »
I have no intention of going into biglaw. I am looking into juvenile, criminal and family law. Would you reccomend USD for me?

USD dominates the small/midsize firms around here so as far as getting a job its not a serious problem. The only issue is whether or not you can handle the debt on the salary those jobs pay.

If you've got parents paying for it or can manage to keep a scholarship its definetly not a bad choice.

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2006, 03:51:47 PM »
I have no intention of going into biglaw. I am looking into juvenile, criminal and family law. Would you reccomend USD for me?

USD dominates the small/midsize firms around here so as far as getting a job its not a serious problem. The only issue is whether or not you can handle the debt on the salary those jobs pay.

Thanks for your response. Are we taking about $80,000 a year salaries or closer to $60,000?

Wild Hearted Son

• 167, 3.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 04:37:58 PM »
Thanks for the info! I am only planning on considering USD with a decent scholarship.
Guns n Roses: USD, Colorado, Loyola LA, Pepperdine($$)
Poison (WL): Nowhere
Michael Bolton: Texas, Georgetown, Michigan

JParker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2006, 07:45:45 PM »
Great thread.  Funny how two USD 1L's have such diverging opinions.

toomuchhype

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2006, 09:29:50 PM »
Im trying to narrow my field down a bit.  B/n usd and Umiami, Ive heard just choose where you would rather live: miami or san d. If you dont care, then it just makes things even more difficult.

Ive only heard good things about UMiami, so im leaning towards them. Why should someone choose USD over Miami tho?  (Sure, usd is slightly ahead in rankings, but i want something of substance)

Oh and no dinero at either.

EscapingWisco

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2006, 01:50:05 AM »
Do you have any idea why the drop-out rate is so high at USD (according to Barron's and USNAWR)? That concerns me a bit.  It said that 16% of first years leave?!?! That sounds really high!

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
  • What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2006, 02:32:12 AM »
Do you have any idea why the drop-out rate is so high at USD (according to Barron's and USNAWR)? That concerns me a bit.  It said that 16% of first years leave?!?! That sounds really high!

It's not for academic reasons, if that's what you're worried about.  I think a lot of people come here because it's SD, then figure out that law school isn't for them.  I know of two drop outs here, and that was their conclusion. 
USD 2L

Manwithaplan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2006, 02:43:21 AM »

It's not for academic reasons, if that's what you're worried about.  I think a lot of people come here because it's SD, then figure out that law school isn't for them.  I know of two drop outs here, and that was their conclusion. 

16%? tat really worries me. most schools in socal according to the lsac site hover at 5-7%.
USD Law grad

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
  • What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2006, 02:47:40 AM »

16%? tat really worries me. most schools in socal according to the lsac site hover at 5-7%.

Then go to Cal Western.  I gave you the reason; I'm not sure what else I can tell you.
USD 2L

terpsichore

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2006, 03:38:08 AM »
Re the attrition rate, I've heard a lot of anecdotal evidence about students at the top of the class transferring to other schools.