Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD 1L Happy to take questions  (Read 9131 times)

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
  • What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: USD 1L Happy to take questions
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2005, 12:57:52 PM »
Thanks, WildCat.

The reason I'm so obsessed with USD (despite the fact that I applied in October and didn't hear crap all from them until June) is that my brother goes there for undergrad.  I'm not sure if I'll apply again, but I like the thought.

Do you work part-time, or are you just doing the part-time program and studying a lot?  Do you know if you can still defer your student loans from undergrad if you're only going part-time? 

All these questions. ;)

I own a car dealership in Arizona.  My brother is now running the place, but I buy cars and run internet sales from SD.  I don't know about the loan question, but my intuition says defer.
USD 2L

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 04:30:16 PM »

But a lot of being a lawyer is working with others, and they want to employ people that they themselves want to work with.  They all agreed that a secretary who worked at their firm, who was well liked, and did reasonably well at USD (top 40% or so) would be more than competitive against a top 10% Harvard grad.

As a 2L, I agree w/ the fact that going to a regional school only makes it more difficult to get a job somewhere else, but certainly not impossible. However, I disagree w/ the idea that firms are looking for someone that they'd like to work w/. It's all based on grades. Having gone through OCI and observing who got callbacks, I find it hard to believe that the ppl ranked in the top ten (as in ppl, not percent), have that much better of a personality than most of the ppl outside of the top ten. Yet, they got 90% of the callbacks.

wrmusgro

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 12:46:49 AM »
I think you're missing the point of that particular post. The OP was stating basically that if you have a repore with someone in a firm, then it can compensate for attending a lower ranked school, or having lower class rankings....

Think of it as a strong sense of justice compensating for weaker minimum contacts...(Da_n you Burger King!!!!!!!!!!)

But a lot of being a lawyer is working with others, and they want to employ people that they themselves want to work with.  They all agreed that a secretary who worked at their firm, who was well liked, and did reasonably well at USD (top 40% or so) would be more than competitive against a top 10% Harvard grad.

As a 2L, I agree w/ the fact that going to a regional school only makes it more difficult to get a job somewhere else, but certainly not impossible. However, I disagree w/ the idea that firms are looking for someone that they'd like to work w/. It's all based on grades. Having gone through OCI and observing who got callbacks, I find it hard to believe that the ppl ranked in the top ten (as in ppl, not percent), have that much better of a personality than most of the ppl outside of the top ten. Yet, they got 90% of the callbacks.

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 01:22:45 AM »
I think you're missing the point of that particular post. The OP was stating basically that if you have a repore with someone in a firm, then it can compensate for attending a lower ranked school, or having lower class rankings....

Think of it as a strong sense of justice compensating for weaker minimum contacts...(Da_n you Burger King!!!!!!!!!!)

This is right, Devil Dawg missed the point.  Networking can put you ahead, BUT it is obviously only good for the area networked.  You can only be an intern at one place at one time... that Harvard grad has the advantage every other time.  So your anaolgy to callbacks really is erroneous.  Callbacks are based on volume, my particular example illustrated a specific case.

USD 2L

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 07:23:59 PM »
It takes a lot to build a rapport w/ a firm. I'm sorry to break it to you guys, but as 1Ls you won't be invited to private, swanky cocktail parties where laywers and judges hang out. Even if you were, do you think these attys are going to remember who you are. If they do, chances are they'll just tell you "Talk to Cindy. She handles all of our recruiting." Also, what makes you think that they'll call in a favor for some 1L or 2L that they don't know that well.

Once you guys go through OCI, you'll see that no one gets their jobs based of their networking abilities. Sure some will get jobs b/c of family ties but not b/c of some stranger.

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 08:55:26 PM »
It takes a lot to build a rapport w/ a firm. I'm sorry to break it to you guys, but as 1Ls you won't be invited to private, swanky cocktail parties where laywers and judges hang out. Even if you were, do you think these attys are going to remember who you are. If they do, chances are they'll just tell you "Talk to Cindy. She handles all of our recruiting." Also, what makes you think that they'll call in a favor for some 1L or 2L that they don't know that well.

Once you guys go through OCI, you'll see that no one gets their jobs based of their networking abilities. Sure some will get jobs b/c of family ties but not b/c of some stranger.

Surely you can't be that dense/stupid.  I wasn't talking about coctail parties... you can become a member of the city SBA, take on tasks at any law firm by offering your services for free, etc.  I wish you well.
USD 2L

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 08:12:18 PM »
As a fellow USD 1L (day division) I can honestly say that if you got into a significantly higher ranked school like USC, UCLA, Berkley, etc, go there.

The problem with USD is jobs jobs jobs, oh and tuition (if you're paying for it). The total cost to go here is about 150k including living expenses on the current budget. Don't count on that scholarship either because as a 0L you have absolutely no idea how well you're going to do in classes and theres a good chance you're going to lose it. The LRAP program is a joke. The career services love pushing public service jobs, but this isnt because the school is full of hippies, its because you're not going to have much luck getting a firm job unless you're in the top of the class. Unless you've got rich parents or manage to maintain that full scholarship you are going to be paying back a heap of loans on very little salary in a very expensive place to live.

The student body is excellent, there definetly are some very smart people. Which is actually a very bad thing because of the curve you are going to be competing with a lot of very smart people for very few top spots. USD is a very nice looking school in a very awesome location, I dont know why the OP says the building is bad inside. I find all the facilities to be excellent inside and out. Parking is a hassle on rare occasions and is impossible at certain times of the day.

As far as going up in the rankings, I feel that USD definetly deserves to be quite a few spots higher considering the caliber of its professors and students. However, don't count on the rankings going up anytime soon or going up significantly. Maybe in 20 years USD will be a top 40 or top 30 school but right now they are a tier 2 in a very small legal market. As far as going up to LA for jobs, you're going to have to stand in line with all the kids from Loyola as well as all the people from USC/UCLA/Harvard/Yale etc.

Wild Hearted Son

• 167, 3.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 09:47:18 PM »
A small legal market compared to what?  San Diego is the 6th largest city in the country isn't it?  And it's the top school in that market.
Guns n Roses: USD, Colorado, Loyola LA, Pepperdine($$)
Poison (WL): Nowhere
Michael Bolton: Texas, Georgetown, Michigan

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 10:05:49 PM »
Its far smaller than major markets like NYC and LA. USD is the strongest school in the 'region' but its not like people from UCLA/USC/national schools stay away from here.

I realize you're probably set in your decision and you may even do well here but be prepared for the risk of losing scholarship and having to pay off some mighty large loans for the next 10-20 years. Its certainly not as dire as cal western or TJ, but there are quite a lot of people who end up getting screwed.

As far as the great 'new' career services department;
http://usdlaw.blogspot.com/2005/08/load-of-crap-or-law-school-career.html

You have an excellent LSAT/GPA. I would absolutely not go here with those numbers unless they offered a full scholarship with no GPA requirements and you did not intend biglaw.

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2006, 12:57:57 PM »
Its far smaller than major markets like NYC and LA. USD is the strongest school in the 'region' but its not like people from UCLA/USC/national schools stay away from here.

I realize you're probably set in your decision and you may even do well here but be prepared for the risk of losing scholarship and having to pay off some mighty large loans for the next 10-20 years. Its certainly not as dire as cal western or TJ, but there are quite a lot of people who end up getting screwed.

As far as the great 'new' career services department;
http://usdlaw.blogspot.com/2005/08/load-of-crap-or-law-school-career.html

You have an excellent LSAT/GPA. I would absolutely not go here with those numbers unless they offered a full scholarship with no GPA requirements and you did not intend biglaw.

I have no intention of going into biglaw. I am looking into juvenile, criminal and family law. Would you reccomend USD for me?