Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting Parents to Co-Sign your Loans  (Read 1303 times)

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Getting Parents to Co-Sign your Loans
« on: December 23, 2005, 02:32:31 PM »
My credit is not great, while my parents have a perfect record. Is it a good idea to get them to co-sign a loan?

Has anyone ever done this?  Whose credit score do they use to determine interest?

I want to broach this subject early to them, so they'll have time to think it over... that's why I'm asking about it right now.

I am officially a law school graduate : )

pgcc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Getting Parents to Co-Sign your Loans
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 04:08:05 PM »
I'm nervous over the same thing. Credit sucks and I maght need a co=signer. My Grandmother is 87 maybe she would do it??

zenpeaceofmind

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 04:39:27 PM »
My credit is not great, while my parents have a perfect record. Is it a good idea to get them to co-sign a loan?

Has anyone ever done this?  Whose credit score do they use to determine interest?

I want to broach this subject early to them, so they'll have time to think it over... that's why I'm asking about it right now.

Check out the threads from last year on this. The interest rate is partially determined by the fact that you have a cosigner, but they mostly take the co-signers credit into consideration. I already asked, and it took a big weight off my shoulders to get the "yes" answer.

:D

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 11:31:26 AM »
One thing to consider is that while yes, if you have a co signer with good credit, they will use the beter of the two, they wil also require documentation from the co signer, usually pay stubs, bank statements, and the like. This may vary depending on which company doing the lending, but if I used a co signer with sallie mae or wells fargo private law loans, they would have required my husbands pay stubs and all that. Not that it is a big deal when it is my husband, but if I had to get that stuff from my parents, it might be more of a hassle.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

zenpeaceofmind

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 12:22:46 PM »
One thing to consider is that while yes, if you have a co signer with good credit, they will use the beter of the two, they wil also require documentation from the co signer, usually pay stubs, bank statements, and the like. This may vary depending on which company doing the lending, but if I used a co signer with sallie mae or wells fargo private law loans, they would have required my husbands pay stubs and all that. Not that it is a big deal when it is my husband, but if I had to get that stuff from my parents, it might be more of a hassle.

There are also some threads from last year that list which companies do not require income docs from the co-signer.

:D