Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 139 LSAT - Should I retake?  (Read 2833 times)

DB

139 LSAT - Should I retake?
« on: December 02, 2003, 11:34:35 AM »
I was sick as a dog with the flu when I took my first LSAT last October.  I was surprised at my low score (139) since I was in the high 150's to low 160's on the Kaplan practice exams.  I thought being sick might cost me a few points, but ... the price turned out to be higher than I expected.

I am signed up to re-take the LSAT for December 6th, but I've read that re-takes are frowned on.  My kids are also sick with the flu right now, but I feel fine, however that could change in the next few days.

Am I wise to re-take, or should I just explain my score is a result of the flu?

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re:139 LSAT - Should I retake?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 05:05:40 PM »
I would retake.  Many schools will average the two scores together.  Some might even count only the higher score.  The difference between a 139 and a high 150 is huge, and is probably worth thousands of dollars in scholarship money.

Getting a higher score the second time around will support your flu story if you decide to write about it in your essay.  I think admissions officers will dislike an "I could have done better but..." story more than they will dislike multiple LSAT scores.  Retaking the exam shows them that the first score really was lower that it should have been.

HI

Re:139 LSAT - Should I retake?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 04:30:27 AM »
I agree with Andrew. I think you should retake your LSAT. Some schools take your higher LSAT score and some schools consider the higher score if there is a significant improvement (ie. 5+ higher). Then when you apply, you can include an addendum and state your reasons for low first LSAT score.

Good Luck!!!!!  :)

jgruber

Re: 139 LSAT - Should I retake?
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 11:20:05 AM »
If you decide to retake the test, plan on spending many many hours studying carefully or taking a course to improve the score.

I took several practice tests and in between I casually studied a book on how to improve the score.  Every score was within 2 points of the other scores I got.

I'm waiting for my score now and if it is not better than my practice scores I will have paid the price of arrogance.

Study hard!  ;D