Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bleeding Heart Liberals Unite  (Read 1266 times)

NoPainNoGain

• My niece Layla
    • AOL Instant Messenger - isniffplaydo
    • View Profile
Bleeding Heart Liberals Unite
« on: December 23, 2005, 02:45:10 AM »
Sooooo, as a hopeful bleeding heart liberal lawyer of the future, I need some advice. Where do all the people who can get into the shiny prestigious schools, but don't want to become the Ivy-league snots go? No offense to Ivy-league snots.  ::)...
Me tutor You LSAT. Check out my ad: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lss/121180555.html

sea dream

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bleeding Heart Liberals Unite
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 02:53:23 AM »
Berkeley? maybe Stanford.
Nevermind. Queen of the Waitlists, anyways.

NoPainNoGain

• My niece Layla
    • AOL Instant Messenger - isniffplaydo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 03:52:21 AM »
 ;D okay change in topic? Where do all the bleeding heart liberals want/are going to school?

...waiting on berkeley... but also still really unsure...
Me tutor You LSAT. Check out my ad: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lss/121180555.html

Kansas

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 09:43:19 AM »
I've heard that the nonprofit/NGO world is even harder to break into than the corporate law world. I checked out the staff bios for some of the organizations I'd love to work for (NRDC, etc.) and saw that LOTS of their attorneys went to Harvard and Yale. So... I think Ivy League snottiness might actually be a good path to bleeding heart liberal lawyering. That's the assumption I'm working from, anyway. :)

Hobert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rossi! Rossi! Rossi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 12:50:48 PM »
I'm a conservative, so I don't know ;)

As others have said. If you want to do Public Interest type stuff, pick the best school possible with the best loan forgiveness program.
Super Bowl Champs (Attending): DUKE
TD: Michigan, Northwestern, UNC, Notre Dame, Texas, Vandy, WUSTL
Intentional Grounding(Withdrew): Baylor, Case, Cincy, Emory, Florida, Indiana
INT: None
4th and Goal: Penn, UVA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Hobert

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 02:42:28 PM »
I've heard that the nonprofit/NGO world is even harder to break into than the corporate law world. I checked out the staff bios for some of the organizations I'd love to work for (NRDC, etc.) and saw that LOTS of their attorneys went to Harvard and Yale. So... I think Ivy League snottiness might actually be a good path to bleeding heart liberal lawyering. That's the assumption I'm working from, anyway. :)

Yeah, that's about where this bleeding heart liberal is too.   :D  That said, NYU and Harvard are running about neck and neck for me right now, mostly because of NYU's public interest rep.  Of course, if Yale wanted to make me incredibly happy they could make the question moot.  ;)

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 04:03:55 PM »
Well, since many bleeding hearts like myself spent more time in undergrad with a bong instead of a book, I'm going to a Tier 3/4 school. I've been out of college for 4 years and have some great experience under my belt; I am not concerned with the tier. I want to go to a school that has a good public interest program (not to say that I'd turn down an Ivy League!)

thenextstep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 04:15:51 PM »
It's a good question I think, and one I really thought a lot about before sending in applications.  I think Stanford, NYU, Berkeley are all good choices and it seems that Georgetown and Michigan place well with NGOs from the research I've done. Beating Harvard or Yale on placement might be hard, but at the same time I would not want to spend 3 years with a good chunk of those people (no one here on LSD of course, I'd love to go to school with you all!).  If you are absolutely sure of your career plans, which it is hard to be, then I think it makes sense to look for the best school/money combo so that you graduate with the least debt without feeling like you sold yourself short.  That's my plan at least, assuming I even have to make the choice.

I'd be happy with any of the schools where I applied, though I have to admit that Michigan is doing the best recruiting of the places where I've been accepted (as in they are doing some recruiting... the others aren't on the ball yet).  But still hoping for Stanford and UNC actually (family and jobs for my partner attract us to NC)

curly

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm sexy
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 04:30:00 PM »
I'm a bleeding heart liberal!

I don't know where I'm going, though...suggestions?
Red's "The Official Crush of LSD" Award Recipient.

Also, "Hottest Roommate" Award. I'm now prestigious by association.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=lgirl

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 06:43:59 PM »
I'm a bleeding heart liberal!

I don't know where I'm going, though...suggestions?

I'd have to suggest yale.   ;)