Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Harvard v. Yale  (Read 1963 times)

bpsavage

• View Profile
    • Email
Harvard v. Yale
« on: December 22, 2005, 05:51:51 PM »
I'm very happy to say that I've been admitted to both Harvard and Yale.  I can't see myself not going to one or the other, but I know that I need to do a lot of research and visit each before I make up my mind.  I was just wondering, for those who have also been admitted to both schools, or even for those who maybe haven't but have a general opinion on the subject, which school would you / do you prefer and why? 

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Harvard v. Yale
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 05:59:10 PM »
i have NOT been as fortunate as you, but i think the difference comes in class size (since obviously they are both generally equal in terms of prestige). harvard is much larger, so you probably would meet more people, but at the same time probably wouldn't have as close relationships with your professors. that being said, at this point, i don't think you can lose either way. best of luck in deciding and throw some of your karma my way!

curly

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm sexy
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 06:07:36 PM »
baff...same deal.
Red's "The Official Crush of LSD" Award Recipient.

Also, "Hottest Roommate" Award. I'm now prestigious by association.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=lgirl

John Galt

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 06:08:42 PM »
bleh, add stanford. Baff.

knoroozi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 06:10:16 PM »
There is no real legal education at Yale, just a bunch of philosophy.  From my experience with senior partners at work, they all say that Yale recruits are always a let down but that Harvard always turns out great lawyers.  Of course, saying you went to Yale always impresses but actually if you want to work internationally Harvard is probably better.  I would pick Harvard for sure (if Mr. Stock would be so kind...).

jmorrow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 06:13:46 PM »
4) Closer to NYC.

Closer to NYC? Everything within three hours of New York is closer to NYC than Harvard. Yale is still over an hour out. But Harvard happens to be in Boston/Cambridge.

It seems like of all the reasons a person might have for prefering Yale, geography would be really, really low on the list.
Georgtown University Law Center/Public Policy Institute '10

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jmorrow

applicant83

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 06:21:37 PM »
knoroozi, why do you say that harvard is better if you are interested in working internationall? i have heard this before but have never been pointed in any concrete direction which says as much. also, do you have any idea how harvard compares to nyu for international work?

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 07:28:39 PM »
i vote yale.

applicant83

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 07:35:04 PM »
btw. i go to yale undergrad and as much as you may have heard this before, new haven really sucks

knoroozi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 08:01:16 PM »
Yeah I have a friend from Yale undergrad that says the same about New Haven.  As for international law, the biggest thing you get when going to a law school is the NAME. (and I mean PERIOD!)  All t-15 law schools have great faculty and resources and programs but some have a more valuable brand than others.  For example, Berkeley has a name second only to Harvard in the world.  If you go to the Middle East and you are in a falafel shop and you say Berkeley, people are impressed.  If you say Yale, no one knows what that is.  If you say Harvard, you instantly rise to the status of a god.  This has to do with a lot of things, including the breadth of quality graduate programs at these two schools but also with the number of international leaders that have come out of their programs.  So now we come to the NYU point.  NYU is a fantastic school to which I hope to be admitted.  But if you look at the rankings on the law school handbook (its somewhere online) you'll find that while Harvard has a 100 point reputation as a University, NYU is only around 56.  Berkeley is 96 followed by Columbia at 94 etc.  You want your degree to have value after you graduate and you don't want to have to tell people that you went to a great school, they should know.  As far as the actually academics, NYU has an amazing international program, maybe even better than Harvard's.  But if you want to go work in Europe, your Harvard degree will be gold.  Writing this post makes me VERY afraid of spying adcoms but if a man can't state his beliefs openly then...oh nevermind, we all know that we live in the Panopticon.