« on: December 22, 2005, 12:30:01 PM »

kruddler

• Lubbock.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How Do I Turn It Off?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 12:39:53 PM »
=======NOTE: I AM NOT A MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL=======

From what I can tell, you're exhibiting obsessive-compulsive tendencies, which is common among people who excel and work in competitive arenas (business, law, academia, etc.). I have an LS compulsion too, and I doubt we're the only ones. Once your future is set into wet cement, it's hard to turn off the competitive fire and desire to kick ass in the application process.

When I go into compulsive mode, I've found that the best way to break myself out of it is to short-circuit one compulsion and get some energy by finding another. Reading sometimes does the trick, but sometimes it's hard to slow my brain down enough to focus. Playing video games can chill me out. I also like building stuff (cabinets, boxes, etc.) out in the garage. Watching TV's OK, but that's such a nasty habit. Try to avoid turning to drugs, alcohol or food, but Mr. Kruddler says sex is a-OK to turn your attention away.

If things get really really bad (as in, it's affecting your daily routine), consider getting professional help. If you go to a psychiatrist, odds are you'll leave with a prescription for something good.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 04:44:25 PM »
Oh, vapid, I feel your pain (if that is the right word, and I'm thinking it isn't).  I'm on cloud nine with my acceptances but still miffed at a deferral from a school I probably wouldn't pick anyway.  And even though I'm not expecting to hear from the rest of the schools for a while, I'm still in the OCD boat re law school.  Can you figure out exactly when the mail comes and then rationally refrain from going to check it until then? There was another thread about diverting obsession/feelings of rejection somewhere.  Can't find it, but it had a whole booklist compiled about "real" world problems/issues that can be useful in grounding you back into the whole reason (maybe) you're applying to law school in the first place - or at least why you shouldn't let a silly deferral get you down.  Maybe try that?
I'm so glad my friends don't know I'm posting this.  I'd get so made fun of.  OCD.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 05:20:29 PM »
My bf already makes fun of me.... he says that LSD is for "crazy obsessive people."  I know, I'm only waiting to hear back from ONE SCHOOL, but every day I'm running home to see it there's news.

Despite what Kruddler says, I recommend alcohol and partying.. that's fun no matter what!  ;)

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 06:15:37 PM »
Help.

Can't.  It's human nature to want what you can't have.  This is doubly true for people who aren't used to failure.  My advice would be to accept it, but that doesn't mean you have to like it.  Grumble about it, root against ND in the Fiesta Bowl, or whatever it takes to get it out of your system.  And remember that a little humility is a good thing.

And for the record, a wife rewarding her husband with money is one of the hottest things I've ever heard.  Well done.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 09:40:10 PM »
go for a run.  endorphins.  it ususally takes about 7 or 8 miles, but then you hit a runner's high that makes you feel pretty happy all morning.  i guess other physical exertion is good too.  go to a climbing gym or go skiing.  skiing!  that is best. 

thescreed

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 11:36:02 PM »
Large amounts of prescription painkillers if you can get them, large amounts of single malt scotch if you can't.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 01:33:39 AM »
Ah, games. Such a good way to put off studying or waste time while you're waiting for the results...

Now, I just need Civ IV for mac.

SCgrad

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 01:52:46 AM »
Large amounts of prescription painkillers if you can get them, large amounts of single malt scotch if you can't.

I would go with the latter as number 1 and a lower grade of the same type as a backup.  There is nothing wrong with McKormick's

NoPainNoGain

• My niece Layla
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 02:10:18 AM »
True story.

Got my first acceptance last week. Was anti-climactic.. but realized I was hooked. Two days ago, I parked my car but wanted to check the mail... so had to run out of my car before the gate closed so I could get to the mail box.

Got the stupid mail. Nothing.
Forgot to lock my car door (or maybe not)... had my bf's laptop with his life in it.

Next day: car radio stolen along with bf's backpack with laptop and 900 in checks.

I feel like an ass. =(

Don't be obsessed! Although I stumbled upon this page today. I swear off of you LSD now and forever.

Goodbye.