Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Yale 250 that got a kid in last year--critique it  (Read 55976 times)

Raskolnikov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Yale 250 that got a kid in last year--critique it
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 12:23:50 PM »
I didn't believe it until I read it, and my jaw just dropped.  He wrote a story about a guy named Quentin.  It wasn't really about himself, he just took the idea and ran with it.

I've known three people with perfect SAT scores.  This guy was probably smarter than the other two combined.  I'd give you his name, but I'd prefer not to get in to that.

Edit:  If you go to/went to Yale UG, drop me a PM and I'll give you his name.

gadfly

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 12:30:13 PM »
Well written-yes, lackluster-yes. Sounds like a snippet of an essay he wrote for philosophy class.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 12:34:40 PM »
Yeah, I'd agree with the well written, little insight group.  But I'd add that it's a little more judgemental than I'd be comfortable with.  But then again, I'm not a yale prof.

kruddler

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lubbock.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 01:56:51 PM »
Quite frankly, it's possible. Questioning the possibility reveals your lack of creative thinking. Quandaries arise when you doubt the abilities of others.

The poster said every word began with Q, not every sentence.

My holiday starts in four hours. I'm not paying attention to anything.
GPA: Ha! LSAT: Meh
Attending Texas Tech fall '06

bloomich

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 02:08:56 PM »
i don't like it at all... i mean it's well-written in that it sounds nice, but i don't buy the argument... it seems he's confusing the population of select, great individuals and the general public... comparing the former of the past to the latter of the present... so i think the argument (curiosity=withering) is weak, and the topic (curiosity=good) not very original, interesting, etc...

faultytowers

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2005, 02:27:05 PM »
Some well-written elements, but the tone is overly self-important/pompous. It's hard to try and explain a huge topic in such limited space without sounding like a dilettante.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2005, 03:14:13 PM »
I don't even think the piece is particularly well-written.  In fact, it's mediocre.  This kid got in on numbers, if, indeed, it is no the OP "testing out the waters."
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

SkullTatt

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2005, 03:19:15 PM »
I like the idea in the concluding sentence, but I think the writing is horrible. I would say this person got in based on numbers, but then everyone who goes to Yale gets in based on numbers, so they obviously liked the 250 as well.

bloomich

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2005, 05:56:47 PM »
Since the kid got in, you would be unwise to plagarize it. Nor do I think Yale wants a bunch of essays just like this. But I thought some applicants might like to see one that worked, and I'd like to know if you all think this helped him get in--or if his ridiculously high numbers did the trick.

The proverbial cat is nearly avenged. Curiosity has been marched before the firing squad of self-assured modern apathy and the rifles barrels are trembling with anticipation.
Over the centuries, empires have risen and collapsed, belief systems have appeared and vanished, and millions of people have sojourned on the earth. Despite vast differences in custom and geography, one common force has driven the progress of mankind: curiosity. The human condition has been continually lifted to new heights by the pondering of thinkers, dreamers, children, and ordinary people. Individual lives, too, have been enriched by engaging the intellect and imagination.
People today are immersed in information but unwilling to think. Knowledge seems like a cheap commodity to the Google generation: why pursue the life of the mind when one can find anything on the Web? Once the world was rocked, and the thoughts of man challenged and expanded, by the impact of thinkers who wondered about the way things were; Kant, Darwin, Einstein, and Adam Smith earned fame with the force of their ideas. Now we refuse to wonder—preferring ready-made, just-add-personal-bias sound bites.
There will always be some committed inquirers, but if general curiosity continues to whither, who will be their disciples? Even a master chef can’t satisfy diners that don’t care enough to swallow, let alone seek nourishment.
Could the stagnation of human knowledge result from too many answers and not enough questions? May that question breed many more.

only question i have about this essay is a grammatical one concerning the second sentence -- "Curiosity has been marched before the firing squad of self-assured modern apathy and the rifles barrels are trembling with anticipation." -- "rifles barrels" -- shouldn't this be "rifles' barrels" or "rifle barrels" ?  i just poked around on the internet and i found a site that sells "rifles barrels" -- http://www.eabco.com/encore.html#Rifle -- but when i called the lady said that it is never proper to put an "s" at the end of "rifle" when used before "barrel(s)" and that that must be a typo on the website.  but then again answering the phone for a rifle supply store may not indicate grammatical authority.

i've found some other "rifles barrels" references, but they're vastly outnumbered by "rifle barrels"

i saw this too but didn't put in *quite* the level of research...see, how can you be so curious and yet love an essay that says curiosity is all but dead...

Leshy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2005, 06:07:02 PM »
Quite frankly, it's possible. Questioning the possibility reveals your lack of creative thinking. Quandaries arise when you doubt the abilities of others.

The poster said every word began with Q, not every sentence.

My holiday starts in four hours. I'm not paying attention to anything.

No biggie.  I was just pointing out the difference.