Law School Discussion

best test date to get a high score?

best test date to get a high score?
« on: July 15, 2004, 04:13:54 PM »
Deloggio.com indicates that it might be best to take the test is June, because LSAC knows this is when the strongest testers sit for the exam, so the scale is centered a little higher to compensate for the increased competition. Does anyone know for sure whether this is the case? If so, is it worth waiting until June? I always though the tests were scaled beforehand, not on the data they got from people who took that actual test, but from the stats they collected on each individual question when it appeared in an experimental section before. That way they can be sure of the relative difficulty of each test without having to wait to see how everyone does on it, and there'd be no need to mess with the centering.

Re: best test date to get a high score?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 04:36:56 PM »
I took the test in October, December, then June (separate years).  Coincidentally, I got the highest score in June.  However, it was also after I shelled out $1200 bones and took Princeton Review, and definitely learned new tactics.  My tutor was a brilliant female who averaged 176.  I only improved a few points, but every point counts, right?  Wasn’t worth the dough, in the end. 

Anyways, the director/teacher told me that there are in fact varying difficulties on the LSAT.  This is how it works, I was told.  Early in the year (February), but late in the applicant process, there are the most experimental questions in the actual exam. Experimental, not meaning the Section, but actual questions throughout the test.  Some of these are too tough, and others are much easier than “standard” questions.  What ends up happening is that further thru the year, more of these are taken off due to their skewed nature from the norm.  But problem is that easy ones are taken out. The next easiest is June, then October/December.  If you have time, take Feb.  Otherwise, take June.  What was helpful about Princeton is that they provide you with all the versions of the exam days after so you know which section was experimental.  Then, they also get feedback from students about the questions.  June 2003 was quoted as “unusually easier than previous exams.”  I concur, it was straight-forward. 

I’m sure there’s more to it, but hope this gives you an idea.

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 06:14:41 PM »
I've heard that the "curve" is based on data from the past 3 years, so it isn't beneficial to take it during a certain date.

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 08:09:56 AM »
I'm guessing that, in general, the best test date to get a high score on is the day that falls after you've studied for two to three months and are solidly prepared for the test.

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 09:22:19 AM »
Vicki makes a good point.  However, LSAC does take into account that in general, the strongest testers take the test in June and the conversion scale is made accordingly.  There was a topic on this a little while ago and someone actually posted the degree of difference between the june/oct./dec. tests ... I just can't remember what it was.

nathanielmark

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 01:05:52 PM »
i dont know where all this nonsense comes from.  The tests are "supposed" to be all the same.  they are based on experimentals and the scale is established before a test is administered.  there may be tiny deviations between certain tests but that has nothing to do with the month the test is given. 

ive done enough real LSATs to say that they are all pretty much the same, some junes have seemed very hard to me, others easy.  my scores were random for every month.  im sure others here who have done a lot of real LSATs would agree

utaustin

• 3.36/164
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 05:04:45 PM »
This June test was inline with some of the recent preptests. No big surprises except the reading comp section which was a tad bit harder.

Logic games were manageable as was everything else. You'll score about the same on a June test, based on conversations I've had with other people.

dta

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 05:13:13 PM »
Green - i don't think people are saying that the June test is inherently more difficult. People seem to be saying that a higher caliber of examinee takes the LSAT in June and thus raw scores a disproportionately high as compared with LSAT's given at other times of the year. To accommodate this fact, a more generous curve is given in June. For example, a 78 equals a 162 in June whereas a 78 would only get a 160 in February.

I don't know if this is true or not, but it seemed as though you might have been misinterpreting the argument being made.

i dont know where all this nonsense comes from.  The tests are "supposed" to be all the same.  they are based on experimentals and the scale is established before a test is administered.  there may be tiny deviations between certain tests but that has nothing to do with the month the test is given. 

ive done enough real LSATs to say that they are all pretty much the same, some junes have seemed very hard to me, others easy.  my scores were random for every month.  im sure others here who have done a lot of real LSATs would agree

nathanielmark

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2004, 05:34:04 PM »
But if a "higher caliber" of tester took the exam in june then if anything should not the curve be more difficult?  Either way, the fact that better test takers take the score in june should not matter, since the scale is set based on the last 3 years worth of LSAT takers.

Green - i don't think people are saying that the June test is inherently more difficult. People seem to be saying that a higher caliber of examinee takes the LSAT in June and thus raw scores a disproportionately high as compared with LSAT's given at other times of the year. To accommodate this fact, a more generous curve is given in June. For example, a 78 equals a 162 in June whereas a 78 would only get a 160 in February.

I don't know if this is true or not, but it seemed as though you might have been misinterpreting the argument being made.

dta

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004, 05:40:43 PM »
But if a "higher caliber" of tester took the exam in june then if anything should not the curve be more difficult? 

I would think so as well. I was just trying to clarify the opposing argument. It would seem, though, that the proper time to take the LSAT would be in any month *but* june. That way you'd be more likely to be on the happy side of the curve.