Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Q for all accepted in GULC part-time --  (Read 622 times)

iheartcarbs

• View Profile
Q for all accepted in GULC part-time --
« on: December 21, 2005, 03:49:53 PM »
how is it different from the full-time program?  are the classes only at night?  do you take less classes during the semester?  does it impact your financial aid (ie - ineligible for some awards since pt v. ft)?  is it impossible to transfer to ft status later?

i'm asking because i got deferred for ft, and since gulc is one of my top choices, will consider going pt if it will increase my chances of getting admitted. 

any thoughts/answers anyone?

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
Re: Q for all accepted in GULC part-time --
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 04:23:23 PM »
how is it different from the full-time program?  are the classes only at night?  do you take less classes during the semester?  does it impact your financial aid (ie - ineligible for some awards since pt v. ft)?  is it impossible to transfer to ft status later?

i'm asking because i got deferred for ft, and since gulc is one of my top choices, will consider going pt if it will increase my chances of getting admitted. 

I can't help you on the actual class schedule (I would imagine it would be mostly evening classes), but as for the other part of your question, one of my neighbors just graduated from GULC's FT program, and he started out in the PT program. From talking to him and his wife, I got the impression that many people start in the PT program in order to get into the FT program after a year. They have indicated in conversation that this is not too difficult to do. If you're really interested in GULC, it might be something to look into.
U Chi '09

The Spanish Teacher

• It's been so long....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 12:49:14 PM »

I have a friend who is a 1L at GULC in the PT program.  He went to GULC with the idea of transferring into the FT after a year.  He was also under the impression that it isn't too difficult to transfer over to the FT after his first year. 
As for class schedule - you take one less class per semester the first year (if you trasnfer over to FT after 1L, you can take two classes over the summer to catch up). All your classes are in the evening.  I've heard that if you aren't working and you can dedicate a ton of time to your studies that you'll come out with pretty good grades and when you transfer over to FT your class rank will be pretty good. As for financial aid - you can go to their website and read the 40+ page financial aid guidebook.  It says that your financial is adjusted for the fewer credits you have to take per semester and you might get less money for living expenses because it's assumed that you have a job for that. 
It sounds like he is really enjoying it.  SO much so that he convinced me to do the same thing. I'm starting PT next fall and hope to transfer into FT after 1L. Hopefully all goes according to plan.  If not, it will only take an extra year and my degree won't have an asterics on it indicating PT. So either way I graduate from a T14.  Some people might say that it's the easy way to get into a T14 or it's the cheap way to do it, but who cares. Let the elitists complain about it all they want.

Anyway, I'm obviously biased as far as the PT thing goes.  GULC was my first choice ans as soon as I got my acceptance letter I withdrew all my other applications. Their international law program is fantastic and I love DC (I went to gtown as an undergrad). Anyway, good luck with everything.
Attending GULC in Fall '06

iheartcarbs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 03:33:07 PM »
wow, thanks for being so informative!

I didn't really know anything about the pt program and am totally kicking myself in the head now for not having applied to both. I got deferred from ft and am considering letting them know i'd be happy with either program. 

Do you have to tell them why you want pt as well? i mean, do they otherwise assume that you're trying to get into their school by any means necessary and simply don't have the numbers for ft?

I looked on xoxohth.com for some info, and while the consensus seems to be that transfering over to ft after the first year isn't hard, it has its cons.  they seems to be a jaded bunch over at xoxohth.com but their comments gave me pause:
1. unless you're middle-aged with kids to support, future employers look down on pt students because they assume your numbers weren't strong enough to get into ft
2. judicial clerkships are hard to get per same reason above, plus they assume pt is less hard (less classes) than ft so your rank/gpa doesn't carry as much weight
3. they say that transcripts actually reflect pt enrollment if you go from pt to ft, although not necessarily vice versa.

can anyone comment on above?  i have trouble trusting the other site because there seems to be so much misinformation/rankings mongering.

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 03:41:27 PM »
Number 3 is not true

redemption

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 03:51:01 PM »
Number 3 is, in fact, false

junetesttaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 11:58:46 PM »

I have a friend who is a 1L at GULC in the PT program.  He went to GULC with the idea of transferring into the FT after a year.  He was also under the impression that it isn't too difficult to transfer over to the FT after his first year. 
As for class schedule - you take one less class per semester the first year (if you trasnfer over to FT after 1L, you can take two classes over the summer to catch up). All your classes are in the evening.  I've heard that if you aren't working and you can dedicate a ton of time to your studies that you'll come out with pretty good grades and when you transfer over to FT your class rank will be pretty good. As for financial aid - you can go to their website and read the 40+ page financial aid guidebook.  It says that your financial is adjusted for the fewer credits you have to take per semester and you might get less money for living expenses because it's assumed that you have a job for that. 
It sounds like he is really enjoying it.  SO much so that he convinced me to do the same thing. I'm starting PT next fall and hope to transfer into FT after 1L. Hopefully all goes according to plan.  If not, it will only take an extra year and my degree won't have an asterics on it indicating PT. So either way I graduate from a T14.  Some people might say that it's the easy way to get into a T14 or it's the cheap way to do it, but who cares. Let the elitists complain about it all they want.

Anyway, I'm obviously biased as far as the PT thing goes.  GULC was my first choice ans as soon as I got my acceptance letter I withdrew all my other applications. Their international law program is fantastic and I love DC (I went to gtown as an undergrad). Anyway, good luck with everything.

dont critize elitists when you allegedly are one of them, since you want to go to a cheap T14 program.
The University of Michigan Law School Class of 2009