Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: URM Status  (Read 2416 times)

fatphil05

• View Profile
URM Status
« on: December 21, 2005, 01:19:59 PM »
  When applying for the t15 schools will applying as a redneck enhance my chance of admission?  We rednecks have many obstacles to overcome whether it be Jack Daniels, reading and ritin, or whippin terrorists arse all the time.  We are obviously discriminated against heavily in the Northeast and out in Cali.  We are portrayed as simple and dumb on television and in movies.  Hell, the Beverly Hillbillies set us back 20 years.  Negative stereotypes apply to rednecks just as they do to African-Americans, Hispanics, Koreans, etc.  We are all created equal and I want the same damn chance as any other minority. 

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
Re: URM Status
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 10:48:23 AM »
You are not even funny!
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

SH

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 07:44:32 PM »
  When applying for the t15 schools will applying as a redneck enhance my chance of admission?  We rednecks have many obstacles to overcome whether it be Jack Daniels, reading and ritin, or whippin terrorists arse all the time.  We are obviously discriminated against heavily in the Northeast and out in Cali.  I would love to take a spot of a more deserving fancy pants, Grey Poopon eatin northerner.  They may not know how to play football up there. but they turn out some pretty darn good lawyers.  What are my chances?

I am pretty sure you will be OK for Pepperdine...
Practice LSAT156 (diag), 163, 162, 165, 167, 168, 172, 164 :(

(all within the last week and a half...which is when I decided to take the LSAT)

fatphil05

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 01:18:38 AM »
  I may not be very funny, but in my opinion URM status is bs.  How many Tennesseans currently attend Yale or Harvard law?  I would suppose that it is a small percentage.  I would guess that the percentage of Tennesseans at top 5 schools is much smaller than the percentage of New Yorkers.  This is just a guess, but I would think there are fewer TNs per capita in T5 schools than NYs. Who is to say that Tennesseans are not underrepresented. Why should Tennesseans not be allowed the same admission/scholarship opportunities that would apply to a URM applicant.  I don't want to hate on anyone who is a URM.  You have to play the hand you are dealt and I would never fault anyone for taking advantage of the current situation, but does anyone else not feel like its bs?  There are a number of different qualities that could make someone distinct rather than race and they are not afforded the same advantages.  Somebody help me out here and tell me why I am wrong.     

SH

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 01:59:26 AM »
okay but someone from Tenn who has a 180 and 4.0 will be the same as a 4.0 180 from NYC....if they have the same soft factors etc...

maybe tenesseans are just not as intelligent... (I AM NOT saying they aren't I am just responding to your post...) or people from NYC just have higher LSAT scores...

I find it hilarious how Americans seem to literally split the States up like different countries... would you go to a law firm find the Tennesean associate and get him to represent you because you are from the same State?

Practice LSAT156 (diag), 163, 162, 165, 167, 168, 172, 164 :(

(all within the last week and a half...which is when I decided to take the LSAT)

alexdn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN:
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 10:59:02 PM »
  When applying for the t15 schools will applying as a redneck enhance my chance of admission?  We rednecks have many obstacles to overcome whether it be Jack Daniels, reading and ritin, or whippin terrorists arse all the time.  We are obviously discriminated against heavily in the Northeast and out in Cali.  We are portrayed as simple and dumb on television and in movies.  Hell, the Beverly Hillbillies set us back 20 years.  Negative stereotypes apply to rednecks just as they do to African-Americans, Hispanics, Koreans, etc.  We are all created equal and I want the same damn chance as any other minority. 

ya know, if you cleaned this up and elucidated a bit, this wouldn't be a half-bad "diversity" personal statement.  if i were in admissions, it'd give you a second look at least. 
Decision made: Harvard Law School '09 (or '10 if I defer)

UVA2Law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 11:18:41 AM »
You know you fail to recognize several things which is why people rarely have an informed debate over affirmative action.  First let me take you back a little over 40 years, yes 40 not all the way back to slavery.  Prior to Johnson's speech at Howard University in 1965 affirmative action was something that benefited all white males.  Iím not talking just about higher education but social security, health programs, veterans benefits, job benefits, getting a job and anything else the Southern delegation influenced (which was just about everything).  If you think that stuff has had no affect on our current situation you are clearly naive.  It is not a coincidence that the race that is disproportionately poorer, less educated, and unhealthy is the same race that was enslaved with the consent of the US government, had Black Codes issued to oppress them, had Jim Crow laws directed at them to maintain the "Southern way of life", had laws manipulated to exclude them from government programs, and are the victims of residential discrimination until this very day.
     Second, affirmative action and the desire for diversity IS NOT JUST A RACE ISSUE!  Geographic diversity is factor, gender is a factor, etc. etc.... You seem to imply that Whites from Tenn. don't get affirmative action at Yale or Harvard.  I am sure if you set in on an admissions committee's deliberations you would find yourself to be quite wrong.  Why?  Like you said not many people from Tenn.  are at those schools so when they seek to enhance their diversity they are thinking about "rednecks from Tennessee" as well.
    Third, racial diversity is an important factor.  In a few decades the United States will have a substantial minority population.  Some estimates state that Whites may only make up 50% of the population.  If you do not think it is a "compelling government interest" to see to it that 50% of the nation is represented adequately in professional careers, especially law, then I donít know what is.
     Finally, the people who are admitted are always judged to be qualified.  Everyone from the wealthy student whose parents donate millions to the school they are applying to, to the person at the top of their class, to the minority whose credentials are under constant scrutiny.  Remember grades and LSATs are not the only thing that determines the contribution someone has to offer.  Diversity is important and while we may be tempted to blame the emphasis on it to liberals to the likes of Hillary Clinton and LBJ remember it was the Southern delegation to Congress that made race an issue, not liberal northerners.

John Galt

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 11:27:11 AM »
You know you fail to recognize several things which is why people rarely have an informed debate over affirmative action.  First let me take you back a little over 40 years, yes 40 not all the way back to slavery.  Prior to Johnson's speech at Howard University in 1965 affirmative action was something that benefited all white males.  Iím not talking just about higher education but social security, health programs, veterans benefits, job benefits, getting a job and anything else the Southern delegation influenced (which was just about everything).  If you think that stuff has had no affect on our current situation you are clearly naive.  It is not a coincidence that the race that is disproportionately poorer, less educated, and unhealthy is the same race that was enslaved with the consent of the US government, had Black Codes issued to oppress them, had Jim Crow laws directed at them to maintain the "Southern way of life", had laws manipulated to exclude them from government programs, and are the victims of residential discrimination until this very day.
     Second, affirmative action and the desire for diversity IS NOT JUST A RACE ISSUE!  Geographic diversity is factor, gender is a factor, etc. etc.... You seem to imply that Whites from Tenn. don't get affirmative action at Yale or Harvard.  I am sure if you set in on an admissions committee's deliberations you would find yourself to be quite wrong.  Why?  Like you said not many people from Tenn.  are at those schools so when they seek to enhance their diversity they are thinking about "rednecks from Tennessee" as well.
    Third, racial diversity is an important factor.  In a few decades the United States will have a substantial minority population.  Some estimates state that Whites may only make up 50% of the population.  If you do not think it is a "compelling government interest" to see to it that 50% of the nation is represented adequately in professional careers, especially law, then I donít know what is.
     Finally, the people who are admitted are always judged to be qualified.  Everyone from the wealthy student whose parents donate millions to the school they are applying to, to the person at the top of their class, to the minority whose credentials are under constant scrutiny.  Remember grades and LSATs are not the only thing that determines the contribution someone has to offer.  Diversity is important and while we may be tempted to blame the emphasis on it to liberals to the likes of Hillary Clinton and LBJ remember it was the Southern delegation to Congress that made race an issue, not liberal northerners.

Best response ever. Everytime I mention white people get boosts for geographic diversity, SES, etc people just ignore the point. I'm glad someone else realized that they look beyond the numbers for white applicants too.