Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU vs. COLUMBIA  (Read 2902 times)

kat44

NYU vs. COLUMBIA
« on: December 21, 2005, 11:05:15 AM »
wondering how many admitted/interested in nyu are also applying to columbia and if accepted at both schools, which you would choose and why (other than $, of course)...

JPhilmore

• Sr. Citizen
  • This actually is me.
    • View Profile
Re: NYU vs. COLUMBIA
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 11:49:22 AM »
I think Columbia would get the edge for me.  I like their campus.  NYU's location helps it somewhat, but assuming the transit workers aren't on strike it isn't a big deal getting from Columbia to Brooklyn or the village.  Also, the fact that Columbia is ranked one place higher than NYU makes me question whether any sane person would attend NYU over Columbia.
"Imagine the future; Woke up with a scream
I was buying some feelings from a vending machine"

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=JPhilmore

JPhilmore

• Sr. Citizen
  • This actually is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 11:58:29 AM »
I think Columbia would get the edge for me.  I like their campus.  NYU's location helps it somewhat, but assuming the transit workers aren't on strike it isn't a big deal getting from Columbia to Brooklyn or the village.  Also, the fact that Columbia is ranked one place higher than NYU makes me question whether any sane person would attend NYU over Columbia.

why would someone want to leave manhattan for brooklyn (or any other borough)?

Brooklyn has a solid music scene and somewhat cheaper bars.

JPhilmore

• Sr. Citizen
  • This actually is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 12:29:15 PM »

why would someone want to leave manhattan for brooklyn (or any other borough)?

Brooklyn has a solid music scene and somewhat cheaper bars.

those are good reasons

but it's also a good place to get stabbed

Depends where you go in Brooklyn.  The vast majority of it is perfectly safe.  You have a much greater chance of being stabbed in New Haven.

junetesttaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 12:41:22 PM »
i dont go out of manhattan! haha ;D
The University of Michigan Law School Class of 2009

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 12:56:38 PM »
Johnny - you're such a f--king idiot.  Just because they talk about Brooklyn on Sex in the City doesn't mean you know a damn thing about it.

Slow Blues

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 01:00:30 PM »
wondering how many admitted/interested in nyu are also applying to columbia and if accepted at both schools, which you would choose and why (other than $, of course)...

Both schools are great. I think it comes down to an issue of personal preference.

NYU has taken steps to improve the school; I seem to recall reading recently that NYU managed to get a law faculty member to switch from Columbia to NYU and apparently this is the first time that's ever happened. I could be wrong though. Columbia also has an actual campus, which is a plus. Columbia also has the Ivy cachet. As an NYU undergrad alum, I've always felt like Columbia was perceived as superior. :-\ In any case, given the option of either, I'd choose Columbia 10 times out of 10.

BTW New Yorkers laugh at anyone too scared to leave the island of Manhattan. I love how people think civilization has yet to tame Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island.

holleratme

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 01:09:08 PM »
Here's what I've read: NYU is much more Public Interest focused, and it has strong international law, human rights, and tax law programs.  NYU's student body is also reportedly more liberal than Columbia's.  Columbia, on the other hand, seems to be known for turning out lots of corporate lawyers (not that NYU doesn't, though). 

I'd think that some cross-admits would choose Columbia simply because it's Columbia, an ivy league law school, but I'd argue that quality of education, career opportunities, etc. would be the same at either school.  In fact, it might be nicer to be at a school where students are less name and rankings oriented. 

Let's throw Penn in there, and that's the dilemma I'm facing.  Ultimately, the difference in rankings between #4 and #5, and between #4 and #7 for that matter, is so miniscule that it comes down to how you perform, not where you go.  For the moment, I'm leaning towards NYU because it's stronger in the areas I intend to pursue, and it has an amazing location.  Hope this helps.   

JPhilmore

• Sr. Citizen
  • This actually is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 01:29:50 PM »
Here's what I've read: NYU is much more Public Interest focused, and it has strong international law, human rights, and tax law programs.  NYU's student body is also reportedly more liberal than Columbia's.  Columbia, on the other hand, seems to be known for turning out lots of corporate lawyers (not that NYU doesn't, though). 

I'd think that some cross-admits would choose Columbia simply because it's Columbia, an ivy league law school, but I'd argue that quality of education, career opportunities, etc. would be the same at either school.  In fact, it might be nicer to be at a school where students are less name and rankings oriented. 

Let's throw Penn in there, and that's the dilemma I'm facing.  Ultimately, the difference in rankings between #4 and #5, and between #4 and #7 for that matter, is so miniscule that it comes down to how you perform, not where you go.  For the moment, I'm leaning towards NYU because it's stronger in the areas I intend to pursue, and it has an amazing location.  Hope this helps.   

I agree with most of what you said, but you should keep in mind that NYU and Columbia are in NYC, whereas Penn is in Kansas or something.  You should think long and hard before you move somewhere isolated like that, even if the cost of living is lower.

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 02:00:47 PM »
I have a friend who had this same dilemma: he was accepted to both and needed to decide which one. 

The post a few messages ago of "why would anyone sane person ever pick nyu over columbia" is just absurd and makes the poster sound like a complete idiot.

As someone already stated, NYU actually has a better ranked international law program; it's number 1 in the country (granted Columbia is #2).  That was the main reason my friend chose it over Columbia since that is what he was interested in doing.  There is also a more public interest presence at NYU.  Both my friend and I went to undergrad at NYU, and I now live just a few blocks from Columbia...and honestly the areas don't even compare; greenwich village is so much nicer, lively, and safer (relatively) speaking than that of Columbia.  And NYU's law school is beautiful...newly rennovated, very nice.  I mean, if you like the idea of having a campus, with ancient facilities like a gym that looks like it's out of "Pumping Iron," Columbia is the place to be. 

But people do have a point in that it is Ivy League, but NYU has a better tax law program as well...so either way, I think one would be all right regardless of which one they choose.  It's like going with Bird or Magic...can't really go wrong.