Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Impending doom - now what? try again next year?  (Read 1889 times)

tttt

• View Profile
Impending doom - now what? try again next year?
« on: December 20, 2005, 06:45:22 PM »
So, my ding from BC has been a relief in many ways. I was really starting to get nuts, waiting for my first response. Couldn't concentrate on anything, staring at LSN/LDS all day. I'm sort of a mild splitter with soft factors so it was going to be a toss up. I feel like the BC ding is spelling out impending doom for most of the other schools I applied to. It's not really a surprise, I guess. It's forcing me to be realistic.

So, from here I'm starting to think seriously about what happens if I don't get into any of the schools I want to go to. I can send out more apps, but I'm not sure if I want to put in the huge effort for law school if it's going to be bottom 2nd Tier/3rd Tier or in some weird location. I would rather do MBA or something else. I can try to take the LSAT again in June and raise my 166 (can't do Feb), but then I'll be waiting until next years app pool. I would be almost 30 by the time I graduated law school, assuming i was able to raise my score significantly in the first place. (I think I can) At worst, I get the same score or lower and wasted a year for nothing. As a woman, I feel like graduating by 30 is starting to get late. If I decide I want to have kids, family history says I'd need to do it all by 32 to be safe. :( I guess I already know what my options are. Just feeling down because I don't like any of them. :'(

qwertyytrewq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Impending doom - now what? try again next year?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 07:22:53 PM »
sorry...but did i miss where you posted your stats?

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 08:43:18 PM »
Uhm...166 is good. So unless you're dead set on T14, or you UGPA sucks...then I really think you are over-worrying...

that first rejection is hard to take though... I was the same way when Texas dinged me... but trust me, acceptances are coming.
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

tttt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 05:06:48 AM »
Uhm...166 is good. So unless you're dead set on T14, or you UGPA sucks...then I really think you are over-worrying...

that first rejection is hard to take though... I was the same way when Texas dinged me... but trust me, acceptances are coming.

My UGPA sucks - 2.89 according to LSAC. (engineering major and I have an excuse for the first two years, but I don't think it's going to help much.) I've done all sorts of undergrad level coursework afterwards with excellent grades, but of course none of that matters.

Anyway, I'm feeling better now. I was pretty down when I wrote that first post. I didn't expect the first rejection to hit me like that. But, BC was one of the schools closer to my reach, even though it was still a reach. If BC isn't willing to forgive my crappy UGPA - at least to defer me instead of an outright ding - I can't reasonably expect schools like Cornell or Duke to look twice either. I'm not URM. I have some soft factors, but nothing phenominal. (I thought my soft factors were decent when I first applied, but after staring at LSD and LSN for so long, I think they are pretty mediocre at best.)

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 08:35:06 AM »
Well that does get a bit tricky, esp. when the LSAT is median and below for a lot of the better schools. I don't necessarily think raising the LSAT is going to make much of a difference though. I think it will come down to a few things:

Whether you have very compelling reasons to overlook the first few years GPA.
Whether you really want to be a lawyer.
Whether you can choose a few lower ranked schools in the area you want to live.

I say this because I don't think the top business schools will be any more forgiving of a low GPA than law schools, so at this point I think if you are wanting to go on to a graduate school you should focus on what you really want to do...

Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante