Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BU 2L taking ?s  (Read 18578 times)

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BU 2L taking ?s
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 10:00:20 PM »
so u dont have any regrets about not going to W&L or W&M? do u think the students r competitive? does BU have a gym?

No regrets. I wanted to work in the Northeast, and I might be able to from BU.

The students are fairly competitive, but what schools arent? Every year there are a few bags stolen and a few jerks who give out bad advice on purpose, but if youre smart, you wont get into any of that kind of trouble. Its the idiots who leave their bags unattended who get themselves into trouble; when finals come, no matter what school you go to, never leave your laptop unattended.

BU has a brand new gym as I stated previously

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 11:25:02 PM »
do you like to go to hockey games? isnt' the new gym pretty? and most importantly, do you think i have a better chance of getting in b/c i go to BU now?
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 01:40:18 PM »
You should get a little preference, but I think your numbers will get you into BU more than having attended the school for undergrad. Your numbers seem a little on the high side for BU. Looking at your list, you should also be able to get BC and GW.

legalprincesa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 03:15:13 PM »
I'm very confused about BU vs BC...USNews (for all it's worth) has BU ranked higher than BC, but the prevailing attitude seems to be that BC is the better school.  What is the difference?  What kind of students get in to BC and what kind get into BU? 
BC Law class of 2009!

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 07:31:28 PM »
how do you feel about johnny damon coming to the yankees?

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2005, 09:15:21 AM »
I'm very confused about BU vs BC...USNews (for all it's worth) has BU ranked higher than BC, but the prevailing attitude seems to be that BC is the better school.  What is the difference?  What kind of students get in to BC and what kind get into BU? 

Well, BC was usually the higher ranked school; when I was studying for the LSAT and applying, BC was much higher ranked. BU recently cut its class size in half to better compete, which in turn led to a matriculating class with higher average LSAT scores because they didn't admit the lower end students. In 2004, BC had a bad year and BU had a great year, so the two schools flip flopped. I'm not sure how long it will last, but I dont mind obviously. Unfortunately, the hiring statistics are not on the same page as USNews. I have one or two friends at BC and they seem to have a slightly easier time finding biglaw jobs. But BU is getting better; we have great profs and some great connections with the city. Our career services suck though, but I hear they suck at every school. But BC is generally still more highly regarded and slightly more competitive to get into than BU.

One of the best things about BU are the clinics. The clinics are seriously the best opportunity to get real world experience so that you can put the knowledge you gain into practice. Every school has them, I would look into each schools different programs and hwo competitive it is to get into the clinics. the small schools like BU are great in that everyone will likely have a shot at doing a clinic becuase there are less students going for one.

As for Damon, he's a traitor and should suffer the punishment for treason. :)

KFUNK

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2006, 02:20:06 PM »
I'm from the NYC area and am trying to decide between (amongst others)BU and Fordham. I'd like to work in NYC after law school but I feel like Fordham may actually tie me down to the city (i.e. limit my options elsewhere). How does the NYC job market view BU grads vs. Fordham grads, or for that matter, BC grads.

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006, 04:37:17 PM »
who wants to go to boston and spend 3 years surrounded by red sox fans?  but then again im probably the only one stupid enough to let baseball influence where i would apply.

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 12:05:29 PM »
I'm from the NYC area and am trying to decide between (amongst others)BU and Fordham. I'd like to work in NYC after law school but I feel like Fordham may actually tie me down to the city (i.e. limit my options elsewhere). How does the NYC job market view BU grads vs. Fordham grads, or for that matter, BC grads.

If you want to work in NYC, or even the tri state area, then you should go to Fordham over BU. BU does do well, but you have to place extremely high to get into the NYC Biglaw market, usually top 10%. Fordham will have ties and connections to the city that BU does not have and this will be very beneficial when job hunting. BU doesn't place horribly in NY, but not as well as Fordham.

As for practicing elsewhere, most graduates end up working where they were from originally. A lot go to NY, CT, and some stay in MA; these are usually people who already have ties to those areas. The BU name will travel farther than the Fordham name, but if you want NYC, then go for Fordham; it will be much more useful for a NYC job.

Conclusion:
If you want Tri-state --> go to Fordham
If you want New England --> go to BU

Afro

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 05:02:32 PM »
how does BU do in DC?