Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BU 2L taking ?s  (Read 18799 times)

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BU 2L taking ?s
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2006, 10:46:20 AM »
I don't actually know if either schoool offers marriage housing. I'd assume no. I personally would never live in a dorm, even if it is for graduate and law students. I enjoy having an apt. away from other students where I can get away from the whole law school competition and rat race.

nubova

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2006, 08:01:48 AM »
k

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2006, 02:03:18 PM »
taking questions for a  few more hours.

MotownSaint

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2006, 08:04:45 AM »
You said you live off campus?

How's living expenses?  And is the commute killer?

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2006, 10:43:36 AM »
I live off campus in the Brighton/Allston area. It is pretty expensive. Rent is about 600 a month for a room in a two bedroom apartment shared with another individual. The commute is on the T which is not too bad. You cant really have a car at BU becuase of its location in the city. I dont really know anyone who lives on campus; most people live off campus. Its great because I dont want to hang out with law school people all day. I study at home; the library is pretty horrible at our school and it is much more comfortable to study in a comfortable environment.

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2006, 10:04:23 AM »
What areas of law would you say BU is best known for?

I would say it depends. It has a strong emphasis on public interest work due to its being such a liberal university. You can get a certificate in a single area of law if you want, although I dont think that it makes you any more marketable. I dont think any law school really is best known for a single area.

HelioBoy

• MSN Messenger - mikerojko@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ChixsDigMe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2006, 09:54:38 AM »
BU and BC are my number 1 and 2 pick.  This summer I went on the undergrad tour of BU and really liked it.  I wish I would have known earlier and would have asked you to some coffee when I was there.  Anyways do you feel overwhelmed by the class work of BU Law and how much time it takes?  I've talked to a few lawyers and one said "treat it like a 9-5 job and you'll be alright" and another said "your going to have to work your ass off"  Just wondering what the workload was.  As for apartments, how much would it be to buy one instead of renting in the Boston area? 
"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure." - General Colin Powell

HelioBoy

• MSN Messenger - mikerojko@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ChixsDigMe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2006, 12:34:05 PM »
If doing a little work will save me a couple thousand then it's definitely worth the work.  Anyways yeah 300,000 is still a lot of money.  Thanks for the info.
"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure." - General Colin Powell

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2006, 04:58:49 PM »
BU and BC are my number 1 and 2 pick.  This summer I went on the undergrad tour of BU and really liked it.  I wish I would have known earlier and would have asked you to some coffee when I was there.  Anyways do you feel overwhelmed by the class work of BU Law and how much time it takes?  I've talked to a few lawyers and one said "treat it like a 9-5 job and you'll be alright" and another said "your going to have to work your ass off"  Just wondering what the workload was.  As for apartments, how much would it be to buy one instead of renting in the Boston area? 

Treating law school as a nine to five job is a good idea. Of course, this is what I did and I ended up in the middle of the class (which rendered me with fairly few job prospects at graduation). Its very competitive at BU, so you may want to treat it as an 8 to 8 job. Students here take law school very seriously and due to that, its hard to trust anyone and you'll probably fall into the 8 to 8 schedule after hearing other students brag about how much they worked. For me, I just studied as much as I wanted and when I felt I was done, I didnt let anyone keep me from relaxing afterwards. 

I think you might be the only person to actually like the BU tours. haha, we dont have the best facilities if you know what I mean. I would rent, as if you do well, you can transfer after your first year. Personally, I would have transferred had my grades been good enough. It makes you wonder what would have happened had you gotten off the waitlist at some of the other schools you really wanted to go to. (BC, GW, GULC, etc.)

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2006, 10:44:31 PM »
Taking questions this weekend.