Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3-year degree?  (Read 3506 times)

ewiar

• View Profile
3-year degree?
« on: December 20, 2005, 12:33:47 PM »
I asked this on the general applications board, no one seemed to know, perhaps my fellow Canucks will do better:

Do US schools accept 3-year "general" bachelor's degree from a Canadian university as equivalent to an American bachelor's degree?  I emailed every school in the T-14, asking if they accepted Canadian "general" degrees.  Many emailed me back, with all saying that they accept the equivalent of American bachelor's degrees.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Update: UMich and Harvard both replied to say unequivocally that they would accept the 3-year "general" degree.  I'm hoping this means that the other schools will treat the degree similarily.
LSAT: 178
GPA: 3.95
(Canadian)

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
Re: 3-year degree?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 03:05:53 PM »
I don't know for sure.

Where in Canada are you?
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

ewiar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 03:17:27 PM »
Ontario - WLU.
LSAT: 178
GPA: 3.95
(Canadian)

Apples and Oranges

• Sr. Citizen
  • My puppy
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MissPalmboom
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 07:53:12 PM »
Hey -- I'm graduating with a three year degree as well and I haven't had any problems so far in the application process.

The only downside I can see to it is they'll only see 5 semesters instead of 6 or 7 that normal 4 year degree holders have when applying straight out of undergrad.

Either way, a bachelor's degree is a bachelor's degree  :) The only way they can tell a difference is your transcript (i.e. it doesn't say THREE YEARS on your diploma)...

Good luck  :)
Jess

SH

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 11:17:34 PM »
That is weird because I was always told it HAS to be a four year degree or 3 years from Quebec (because of CEGEP or whatever)

Practice LSAT156 (diag), 163, 162, 165, 167, 168, 172, 164 :(

(all within the last week and a half...which is when I decided to take the LSAT)

Silvermtn

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - silvermountain74
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 12:51:24 AM »
I got into a U.S. T4 with a 3 year degree from MAC and had no problems.

TheCanadian

• Sr. Citizen
  • :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 03:41:32 AM »
I asked this on the general applications board, no one seemed to know, perhaps my fellow Canucks will do better:

Do US schools accept 3-year "general" bachelor's degree from a Canadian university as equivalent to an American bachelor's degree?  I emailed every school in the T-14, asking if they accepted Canadian "general" degrees.  Many emailed me back, with all saying that they accept the equivalent of American bachelor's degrees.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Update: UMich and Harvard both replied to say unequivocally that they would accept the 3-year "general" degree.  I'm hoping this means that the other schools will treat the degree similarily.
You shouldn't have a problem.
Excuse me, I just noticed you noticing me and I just wanted to give you notice that I noticed you too.

asdfjkl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 02:51:37 PM »
has anyone else had success at top 5 schools doing this? i'm interested to know just how much, if at all, a 3 year degree would hurt me.

Hyru

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 07:56:56 PM »
bringing this topic back to life....

Im looking to apply with a 3 year bachelor degree but Im pretty sure I wont be getting into Harvard or Michigan. Likely some Tire2 school.... Ca anyone shed more light on 3 year degrees going to the U.S?