Law School Discussion

What constitutes "good" EC's

Re: What constitutes "good" EC's
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2005, 08:14:45 PM »
I think I've got good EC/WE:

-Distinguished Scholar (advanced honors program completion, 6/1200 students on average get it)

I don't think I've ever heard of an honors program that allows completion with a GPA below 3.5. What's the story with this? Does it mean that at your school 1194/1200 students have GPAs even lower than 3.44?

Our school is easy on the GPA. To get into the honors program you need to maintain a 3.25GPA each semester. After that, it's strictly effort and academic and not particularly based on grades. For example, to graduate with general honors, you have to have completed 9 credits of honors level classes with a minimum 3.0 in each class plus an Honors Colloquium. The next level is Advanced honors, which requires a 400 level research/writing intensive seminar PLUS an honors thesis/project/internship. Completion of both lands you with Distinguished Scholar.

It's not exactly a hard thing to achieve, since it's fairly easy to do. But, I'm grabbing onto everything I can to attempt to make up for my grades if I'm not an auto-reject.

sounds like the general requirements for most majors at W&M...we have to do several 400 level classes, plus at least one colloquium, and generally an independent study (25-50pgs) or thesis (40-100pgs)

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2005, 08:15:46 PM »

The sit-in-the-front-answer-all-questions, be-involoved in everything kinda person

I'd probably be vocal, but not in the I'll-answer-even-if-i'm-wrong sense. Definitely not the be involved in everything kinda thing.. most of that was sophomore/junior year. I now sit on my ass and geek out on the computer most of the day.

Most of that was just trying to make up for my obvious lack in GPA and LSAT.

Damn... thought I'd found a fellow gunner

i'll be the gunner

...psych.

LubedPumpkin

• Happily flushing at my TTT.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PhunkyKatie
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2005, 08:18:25 PM »

sounds like the general requirements for most majors at W&M...we have to do several 400 level classes, plus at least one colloquium, and generally an independent study (25-50pgs) or thesis (40-100pgs)

Yeah, we've got that for major's too.. some number of upper division in our major plus a seminar class and paper (25+pages). This is in addition to that.

It's a state school, we don't have much money and many professors, so.. we make do. :)

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2005, 08:21:29 PM »
chool, we don't have much money and many professors, so.. we make do. :)

I hear ya, i hear ya...   :-\