• Happily flushing at my TTT.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PhunkyKatie
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal
    • Email
Re: What constitutes "good" EC's
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2005, 04:56:50 PM »
I think I've got good EC/WE:

-Distinguished Scholar (advanced honors program completion, 6/1200 students on average get it)

I don't think I've ever heard of an honors program that allows completion with a GPA below 3.5. What's the story with this? Does it mean that at your school 1194/1200 students have GPAs even lower than 3.44?

Our school is easy on the GPA. To get into the honors program you need to maintain a 3.25GPA each semester. After that, it's strictly effort and academic and not particularly based on grades. For example, to graduate with general honors, you have to have completed 9 credits of honors level classes with a minimum 3.0 in each class plus an Honors Colloquium. The next level is Advanced honors, which requires a 400 level research/writing intensive seminar PLUS an honors thesis/project/internship. Completion of both lands you with Distinguished Scholar.

It's not exactly a hard thing to achieve, since it's fairly easy to do. But, I'm grabbing onto everything I can to attempt to make up for my grades if I'm not an auto-reject.

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2005, 04:57:07 PM »

-Distinguished Scholar (advanced honors program completion, 6/1200 students on average get it)
-Presidents Cabinet
-President of Political Student Association
-SGA Elected Rep
-Chair of various smaller SGA committees
-Honors Legal Internship at oldest firm in NY! Required research paper(4.0)
-Out of school intern for tax/treasury at Symbol Technologies, my boss is the VP and he's an adjunct at NYU Law, wrote a fabulous LoR for me. :)
-Most Outstanding Pre-Law Student Scholarship
-Omicron Delta Kappa (Nat'l Leadership Honor Society)
-Pi Sigma Alpha (Nat'l Poli Sci Honor Society)

And a few other odds and ends.. paid law tutor for Bioethics/Con Law, etc etc

Are these "good" EC/WE's? I worked my arse off because I go to a state school in NY and my GPA/LSAT wasn't too fabulous. :)

I sense a fellow gunner

LubedPumpkin

• View Profile
    • LiveJournal
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2005, 05:10:13 PM »

-Presidents Cabinet
-SGA Elected Rep
-Out of school intern for tax/treasury at Symbol Technologies, my boss is the VP and he's an adjunct at NYU Law, wrote a fabulous LoR for me. :)

Are these "good" EC/WE's? I worked my arse off because I go to a state school in NY and my GPA/LSAT wasn't too fabulous. :)

I sense a fellow gunner

Que?

I don't lurk much on LSD. :) What's a gunner?

JamesD

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2005, 05:23:00 PM »
Jesus.  I think this is just a thread for certain people to brag about the extent of their extracurricular involvement in college.

I'd like to add some other excellemt EC's to the list----

You all forgot speech & debate!!  Don't leave it out!

thescreed

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2005, 05:24:51 PM »
You all forgot speech & debate!!  Don't leave it out!

Don't be hating on the debate team! People who denegrate it are generally the type who know they would be terrified to do it -- terrified of public speaking and terrified of having their slow-wittedness exposed and voted on.

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2005, 06:01:13 PM »
Ouch. Honors is much harsher here. You have to have a 3.5, take 20 units of upper division honors contracts which means working out a special curriculum for 5 classes with professors, plus a ton of lower division honors coursework. No wonder I'm being kicked out for not doing anything. :)

Was much easier at old school.

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2005, 06:08:18 PM »

-Presidents Cabinet
-SGA Elected Rep

I sense a fellow gunner

Que?

I don't lurk much on LSD. :) What's a gunner?

The sit-in-the-front-answer-all-questions, be-involoved in everything kinda person

shae

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2005, 06:32:21 PM »
win an olympic gold

LubedPumpkin

• View Profile
    • LiveJournal
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2005, 08:04:19 PM »

The sit-in-the-front-answer-all-questions, be-involoved in everything kinda person

I'd probably be vocal, but not in the I'll-answer-even-if-i'm-wrong sense. Definitely not the be involved in everything kinda thing.. most of that was sophomore/junior year. I now sit on my ass and geek out on the computer most of the day.

Most of that was just trying to make up for my obvious lack in GPA and LSAT.

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2005, 08:05:13 PM »

I'd probably be vocal, but not in the I'll-answer-even-if-i'm-wrong sense. Definitely not the be involved in everything kinda thing.. most of that was sophomore/junior year. I now sit on my ass and geek out on the computer most of the day.

Most of that was just trying to make up for my obvious lack in GPA and LSAT.

Damn... thought I'd found a fellow gunner