Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: financial aid calculators?  (Read 649 times)

notfamous

• View Profile
financial aid calculators?
« on: December 19, 2005, 12:32:51 PM »
Are there any websites that can help estimate the amount of financial aid for which one might qualify? I am pretty sure that I won't qualify for anything since I own a home that I'll be selling when I move to start school, have a modest 401k, Roth IRA, money market account, etc, but I'd love to be able to get some of my questions answered so that I can figure out if it makes sense to apply.

N. Fairchild

• View Profile
Re: financial aid calculators?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 02:45:36 PM »
Are there any websites that can help estimate the amount of financial aid for which one might qualify? I am pretty sure that I won't qualify for anything since I own a home that I'll be selling when I move to start school, have a modest 401k, Roth IRA, money market account, etc, but I'd love to be able to get some of my questions answered so that I can figure out if it makes sense to apply.

I'm in the same situation.  I haven't found any fin-aid calculator but I expect to get very little financial aid, considering most people applying will have little to no assets.  I also wonder if the 401k/Roth will count against our eligibility need; I don't consider them liquid assets. 

notfamous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 02:49:36 PM »
I did finally find one at http://www.finaid.org

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 02:50:35 PM »

I'm in the same situation.  I haven't found any fin-aid calculator but I expect to get very little financial aid, considering most people applying will have little to no assets.  I also wonder if the 401k/Roth will count against our eligibility need; I don't consider them liquid assets. 

I don't have anything concrete for you, but I've read that 401k's and Roth's and such will not be counted as assets.  I own a home too, and plan to use some equity to help pay, but I still expect help from these schools.  Honestly, $31,000 per year just for tuition?  That is a ridiculously huge amount of money.  
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?