Law School Discussion

LR and cracking the LSAT book

Maryanne007

• GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
LR and cracking the LSAT book
« on: July 14, 2004, 05:59:34 PM »
Argh, feeling slightly discouraged.  My biggest weakness is LR.  I basically get about 7-8 wrong on each practice exam.  I just began studying two weeks ago.  I read through the princeton review cracking the LSAT book and actually did worse on the LR section!  I think it made me overanalyze the choices and second guess myself and I ended up with 8 wrong in one section!!!  I'm going to move on to the Nova book, master the LSAT this week, but was just curious if others felt the same way.  Do all these "techniques" mess you up more than they help?

My games section is my best section.  I usually get at most 1 wrong (after taking 4 practice exams).  I was wondering if I should even look at logic games bible or the other guides for games or if that will just mess me up more...

Thanks for any thoughts.  :)

Re: LR and cracking the LSAT book
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 07:50:49 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you..I usually get about 6-8 wrong per LR section.  But after going back and reviewing the ones I got wrong, I feel that I would have gotten many of them right if I had more time.  Improving my LR score has become my new obsession.  I also think the PR book has been the best so far for the section.  Master the Lsats wasn't as helpful as I thought it would be, but you might pick up some tips on diagramming, and also on something the author calls "obfuscation" or the way lsat writers try to fool you into picking the wrong answer. 

I am also a work in progress, but as others have posted on this board, you should first identify whether your problem is the time limit or conceptual.  if it is conceptual then work on the problems untimed, scrutinizing EVERY word, and then go over your mistakes.  you should also identify which types of problems gives you the most difficulty and focus on those.   

hope this helps..

Moogle

• LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
Re: LR and cracking the LSAT book
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 01:18:56 AM »
LR is my weakest section as well.  Here's my approach to the problem, I first memorized all the question types, then I did about 20 questions for each type.  This was made easy for me since I have a book called "Big Book of LSATs" by PR.  You probably have to go through the LSAC books and categorize the questions yourself.  The tricks associated with questions of the same type are repeated over and over again.  Write these down and remember them.  The simplest trick that comes to mind is when the question generalizes, meaning when the excerpt indicates SOME there's usually a wrong answer that's very close to being the right choice except it uses the word ALL, and vice versa. 

When I do LR questions, I tend to read the question stem first so that I know which type of question it is, then I read the excerpt while thinking of the answer in my head.  I also circle key words like "some", "all", "maybe", "consistently", you get the idea.  In choosing the right answer, I select the choice that is closest to my own answer.  This method is actually suggested by your favourite company PR and I found it to work quite well for me.  I found it to save time as well, sometimes when I see the right answer as A), I do not even bother reading the other choices.  Of course, I only do this for the first half of the questions (#1~#12), as they are easy and I could afford such confidence.  For the later questions, I read all the choices before making my selection.

Also, you shouldn't follow the prep books verbatim, as they often contradict each other.  PR says read the question stem while Master the LSAT doesn't recommand the method.  Just remember b/c you are not the same as everyone else you will have to come up with idosyncratic methods for attacking the questions.  The only down side about my method is that it requires a lot of focus, it's really hard to keep three thoughts at once (the question type, the question content, and your version of the answer).  It might seem easy, but done with a time constraint and 50+ questions, my brain is usually fried towards the end.

Another tactic I use is that I skip almost all the parallel reasoning questions till the end, as they are the most time consuming.