Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone thinking of doing a longish commute?  (Read 3244 times)

kruddler

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lubbock.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone thinking of doing a longish commute?
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 11:11:17 AM »
Thirty-five miles is a doable car commute; I did it for a summer internship.

Depending on where I end up, I'll probably have to do a 10- to 15-mile bus or train commute, because the schools I've applied to in DFW and Houston aren't in areas where I'd particularly like to live.

I second upNdown's advice; bus/train is preferable to car commutes. But splitfinger doesn't have a bad idea, either, so long as the prof agrees.
GPA: Ha! LSAT: Meh
Attending Texas Tech fall '06

Mr Shears

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 11:23:48 AM »
And you get a quality recording.  Fuzz and unintelligble words are no fun.

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 01:50:59 PM »
Yeah, we'll see how well it works.  I spent a fair amount of time researching, and I eventually settled on an Olympus DM-20.  A lot of the reviews I read on it mentioned that the owners regularly used them to record lectures in class and the results were acceptable.  But I guess we'll find out next fall.

I'm also thinking it may be handy when I'm doing interviews with clients when I'm actually a lawyer, especially if I wind up doing any criminal work.  Notes are good, but it would/will benice to be able to go back and listen to what was actually said later on if there's any question about what was said, and to make sure nothing gets missed.
Emory '09

LSN

azdezza

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 03:15:33 PM »
Yeah, we'll see how well it works.  I spent a fair amount of time researching, and I eventually settled on an Olympus DM-20.  A lot of the reviews I read on it mentioned that the owners regularly used them to record lectures in class and the results were acceptable.  But I guess we'll find out next fall.

I'm also thinking it may be handy when I'm doing interviews with clients when I'm actually a lawyer, especially if I wind up doing any criminal work.  Notes are good, but it would/will benice to be able to go back and listen to what was actually said later on if there's any question about what was said, and to make sure nothing gets missed.

FWIW, many law profs do not allow students to record their lectures.  Some of my friends (at Penn, NYU, and Duke in particular) have complained about this to me.  Just make sure you always get their permission first...

Danni

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 06:39:37 PM »
If I get into my first choice, I'll have an hour long commute each way, and if I get into my 3rd choice we'll have to cope with me living 4 hours away 3 days a week and coming home to Omaha the other 4 days.

Here in Nebraska there's not many options (I live in Omaha, where Creighton is at).

Danni

LSNhttp://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Danni&x=aaf5937d21270ee7b2748fb03840c111

MrSmittie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebel Law - why what happens in Vegas stays here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 07:01:33 PM »
I live in SoCal and have applied to Loyola and Southwestern PT. If I go to either I'll have a 1+ hour commute. I have also applied to UNLV and would transfer with my current employer. There I would probably have 15-30 min commute. Also applied to UTK and would sell my house in Cal, live off profits and go full-time. The commute in LA might suck, but  that might be the price I'd have to pay to go to LS.
1L Boyd Law - UNLV
I'm so old - I went to preschool with God.

MrSmittie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebel Law - why what happens in Vegas stays here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 07:08:50 PM »

[/quote]

You can ride the train (red line) to both Loyola and Southwestern.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll look into it, If accepted!?!
1L Boyd Law - UNLV
I'm so old - I went to preschool with God.

vt

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 10:04:16 AM »
I'm just starting to prep for LSATS to apply this fall for 2007 at a school that will be a whopping one and a half hour commute... 45 minutes of back roads, 45 minutes on the highway... Not so bad for me though as I currently commute 50 min for work... My wife commutes 55 min for Med School... If not law school, I was going to look at McGill for Econ. that would be a 2 hr. commute IF the border crossing was fast...

rontrose

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 08:12:29 PM »
I just committed to a 188 mile roundtrip car ride for the first year.  I keep telling myself that its not a year, only two semesters.  Well be able to move for years 2 and 3.

rontrose

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 08:18:41 PM »
Probably.  I can't imagine there'd be anyone else here doing the same thing.  My wife's job is too good to leave right now and I don't want to defer.