Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do adcoms google applicants?  (Read 2464 times)

reynolda

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fashunista4ward
    • View Profile
Re: Do adcoms google applicants?
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 05:15:28 AM »
Gosh, folks, I don't mean to be the voice of reason, but...

Do you really think that adcomms have the time - and interest - in Googling anyone? If you consider the number of applications received, the burdens of the "normal" screening process, and the importance of obtaining reliable information, it seems silly to concern yourself with this type of thing.

I understand the application process is stressful but my advice to you is: relax. Go have a beer. You're great - that's enough.

Caveat - my name is the same as a well known college quarterback who won a national championship some years back. I can only hope they confuse me with that fellow.... That'd be cool, huh?

Anyway, if they're doing it, I'm in the clear. What a relief.

Good luck ya'll.

hmm... maybe the schools I'm still waiting on are delayed due to googling :).  I can't wait for those rejection letters  "sorry it took us so long, but we just had to check everyone out on the 'net.  <3 duke"
i like complicated :)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 08:16:51 AM »
Adcoms will and do google people.  We're not talking about them sitting around scouring the internet for someone, but typing a name into google and looking at the first couple things that come up takes like 5 seconds.

This is reality.  If you have a blog or webpage, assume adcoms and future employers will read it.  And yeah, I'll admit that there's a chance that some/many adcoms might not google people, but FIRMS definitely do.  Emory's career services office has gotten feedback more than once about a potential Emory hire that was turned down due to sketchy or inappropiate stuff online that they found through google.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 09:08:48 AM »
yet another reason to not use your regular email address on applications, especially if your email is also an IM screenname.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

AtlantaSteve

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SPerkinsManheim
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 09:25:28 AM »
My email address, <NameRemovedToPreventSpam>@steveperkins.net is a custom domain that obviously references my personal website... which is a blog going into great depth on my religious and political views.  The personal section of my resume hyped up the fact that I am launching a grassroots ballot-access web system for independant and 3rd-party candidates in my state (www.georgiaballot.org).

In short, my applications might as well BEG the adcomms to spend some time researching me on the Internet.  However, my web hosting company offers some easy-to-use reporting tools for tracking visitors to your websites, and I've been monitoring my traffic daily since the application season began, and I haven't had ONE hit from any domain recognizable as being on a law school's computer network (i.e. *.uga.edu, *.gsu.edu, etc). 

That tells me that either adcomms have a hard time separating work and personal life, and do most of their application reviewing from home, or else they're just too damn busy for Googling people out of idle curiosity when they're buried by 10-15 applicants for each available seat.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 09:28:03 AM »
My email address, <NameRemovedToPreventSpam>@steveperkins.net is a custom domain that obviously references my personal website... which is a blog going into great depth on my religious and political views.  The personal section of my resume hyped up the fact that I am launching a grassroots ballot-access web system for independant and 3rd-party candidates in my state (www.georgiaballot.org).

In short, my applications might as well BEG the adcomms to spend some time researching me on the Internet.  However, my web hosting company offers some easy-to-use reporting tools for tracking visitors to your websites, and I've been monitoring my traffic daily since the application season began, and I haven't had ONE hit from any domain recognizable as being on a law school's computer network (i.e. *.uga.edu, *.gsu.edu, etc). 

That tells me that either adcomms have a hard time separating work and personal life, and do most of their application reviewing from home, or else they're just too damn busy for Googling people out of idle curiosity when they're buried by 10-15 applicants for each available seat.

Wow, that is pretty detailed there.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

cyberrev

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 10:15:02 AM »
all my google returns is i'm on a couple of people's hero lists on myspace, and some weddings and funerals i've done

incognito

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 11:27:18 AM »
While at an admitted students event at a T14, another admitted student at lunch with me asked an assistant dean of admissions if he knew about LSN/LSD.  He said yes he did, that they occasionally looked at it, and that the Dean of the Law School had just discovered it recently and asked the Dean of admissions a question about it.  The assistant dean said that it is interesting that prospective students have this large source of data in front of them.  I haven't said too much on any of these sites that I am embarrassed about but I am more careful now. 
Duke 2009

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 11:54:18 AM »
At UVA when I talked to the assistant dean of admissions he said his comment about never mentioning Thomas Jefferson in a PS had "made the message boards." Don't know if he was talking about here or XOXO, but they do read these. But you'd have to do something on the Big Tex scale to get an offer rescinded.

bohemian_revolution

• Sr. Citizen
  • le fabuleux destin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 12:18:28 PM »
And that's why I blog under a nickname that could belong to almost anyone. I wouldn't doubt that they googled applicants. It takes less than 5 seconds if there's nothing suspicious.

Zoli

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2006, 01:11:51 PM »

I'm going to take a wild guess here but I think AtlantaSteve is a Virgin, unless you count cybersex.

"I say NO to drugs but they don't listen."